GO!

He ate a tennis ball!!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Karu

Misbehaved Mutt

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 6:54am PST 
Karu's favorite toy, a rope toy with a tennis ball attached is no more. The tennis ball was destoried and ripped into tiny pieces all the place last night. There is a very very high likely hood he ate a few of the pieces. Of course the vet says bring him in to have him checked out, I'm not prepared to do that right at this second. The vet never mentioned anything about the rubber being toxic, one of my concerns. Besides looking for signs of something wrong like vomitting and the runs, is there anything else I should be worried about?
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 7:10am PST 
It sounds like the only thing you really need to worry about is an obstruction. Dog toys are made nontoxic because of cases like this. I believe regular tennis balls actually are toxic. Some sort of gas builds up in them and comes out when they are broken open. But since it was a dog toy you shouldn't have to worry about that.
The pieces of the ball could irritate his intestines while hes trying to pass them. They may even scrape them, so a vet visit is a good idea. If the vets worried about scraping he should give you an antibiotic. If he tore it into little pieces before eating, it should pass fine as long as they don't all try to go through his intestine at the same time.

Maya swallowed half her collar a couple weeks ago and passed it fine, don't worry too much. Maya vomited a lot and had diarrhea, but it looks like you already know the signs of an obstruction.
[notify]
Berry Bubba- Gump

Last ofthe- famous- international- playboys

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 7:10am PST 
I think it will pass big grin

Watch for excessive drinking, fatigue, loss of appetite. Guess that's common sense.

Berry ate a sock and he was fine even though it was from my toxic feet. He's like a vacuum and can find garbage on our walks, stuff I can't even see. He just picks it up and eats it. So far he's passed string, gum, bits of plastic, a sock (most of it...he needed help with that one....kinda gross).

It might be a good idea to put the toys up and away at night. At one year old your dog is still a puppy and puppies like to eat interesting things.
[notify]

Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 7:12am PST 
Berry BOL big laugh
Did you have to cut a string off for that one? bol....we were out of town when Maya finally passed her collar and my dad was watching her. He had to cut a string that was attached to the collar but still stuck in her butt! I felt bad, bol, I was sorta glad that I wasn't home for it!
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:17am PST 
Just keep an eye on him....I would think that if he shredded the tennis ball it should pass relatively easy. And he looks to be a fairly big dog so he shouldn't have too hard of a time!

Silly dogs.....they eat the wierdest things. I don't understand how they get such enjoyment out of ruining their favorite toys? shrug
[notify]
Karu

Misbehaved Mutt

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:17am PST 
Thanks for the replies. I did not know normal tennis balls were toxic, he has a few outside I will have to watch him with those. Hopfully everything will pass without problem. This ball was fairly big and hard, I never imagined he would be able to tear it to shreds. He must have been busy all night with it!!! At least it wasn't my shoes. I took a picture, see link below, feel free to make fun of my ugly blue carpet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/zoeythelost/Karu/ten nisballshreds.jpg
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:20am PST 
Picture didn't work Karu??

I'd love to see it though!
[notify]
Karu

Misbehaved Mutt

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:38am PST 
Sorry I'll try again, the tennis ball is the little yellow specks.

I cant seem to get it to work, you will have to copy and paste the address.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/zoeythelost/Karu/tennisba llshreds.jpg

Edited by author Wed Aug 13, '08 8:40am PST

[notify]
Spuds "The- Angel Potato- Head"

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:56am PST 
hailhail Karu!! Excellent shredding job!! hailhail

Hope everything comes out well!!!
[notify]
Otis

Otis - ...WHO rescued- WHOM?...

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:57am PST 
...not making light of your concern, but while we're "confessing" - red face - when Otis was still a puppy he chewed up part of a glow-in-the-dark frisbee, so for a week or so his, um, ...offerings...in the back yard emitted a strange GLOW at night eek
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2