GO!

Looking for positive stories after Mast Cell Tumor removal.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Bria

The Devil- Inside.......

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 5:01pm PST 
Hi All,
My name is Bria and I am a soon to be five year old Black lab. I am writing because I recently had a growth on my ear flap removed and the biopsy determined it was a Grade 2 mast cell tumor. The vet assured my mommy she got it all and the margins and surrounding tissue look good/clean. My mommy is spending too much time researching online like a crazy lady and sick with worry. The vet even said all the MCTs come back a 2 from their lab (hee hee - laboratory) unless it's really bad. This was somewhat comforting to mommy but still, this is all new to her and my family and I just want to hear some positive stories of dogs who have lived long happy lives after having an MCT removed so my mommy can breathe a little easier and spend more time with me and my brother Bailey and less time on the computer!Thanks everybody!
Bria
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 5:07pm PST 
Hello pretty Bria! wave Mom says she had a dog growing up that had one removed, and she lived many many more years. way to go The vet would have told you if there was any reason at all to worry. hughughug
[notify]
Bria

The Devil- Inside.......

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 5:15pm PST 
Thanks Sophie. I'll relay to my mommy!
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 7:41pm PST 
A dog I know had one removed a few years ago. They had to take all but 2 or 3 inches of her tail to get the margins. But she's fine now. Still in daycare every week with no sign of slowing down.
[notify]
Rosa

Assistant to the- Regional Manager

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 11:22am PST 
Hi Bria,
I had a grade 1 MCT removed more than three years ago, and I'm just healthy as can be! I do still go to the vet onco every time I have a little lump or bump, but that's mom's neuroses. When mom gets really worked up, the vet onco reminds her that many dogs can have one MCT and never have another one and live long, perfect lives. It's when you have two MCTS that the risk of having another is about 50%. So I say you've got many long, healthy years ahead! happy dance
Rosa
[notify]
Bria

The Devil- Inside.......

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 11:55am PST 
Rosa,
Your mommy sounds like my mommy!! My mommy brought me to the vet today only to find out I have a wart on my lip due to the stress she's causing herself and me! smile No. .he really said it was probably from the stress of the surgery. Just a week before I had to have stitches in my paw after stepping on glass. I really appreciate your reply and feel more comforted. I am sure mom will as well. My vet said something similar today..I may never have another one and my mommy just needs to check me out every so often to make sure nothing else pops up.
Briablue dog
[notify]
Brett

Big Mac Attack

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 12:45pm PST 
Hi Bria,

I was diagnosed with a Mast Cell tumor on my hip area in June. It took two surgeries, but the doc got it all & I'm doing great. Tell your mom not to worry. You are going to be just fine! hug hug
[notify]
Bria

The Devil- Inside.......

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 1:08pm PST 
Brett,
Thank you!! You are a cutie. Glad to hear you are doing well. Two surgeries yuck. Good they got it all though!
Bria
blue dog
[notify]
Rosa

Assistant to the- Regional Manager

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 2:45pm PST 
Hi Bria,
Just wanted to add that your mom should not go looking up MCT info online! We know from experience! The night I was diagnosed (and I mean night--the vet called at around 9pm with the cytology) mom couldn't talk with any experts for a second opinion, so she resorted to going online. Big mistake! A lot of the stuff online about MCTs is either outdated or way too pessimistic or both. MCTs are the most common skin tumor in dogs and are 50% benign and 50% malignant. I think of this difference as similar to the one between basal cell carcinoma and melanoma in humans. Both are skin cancers--cancer just being an uncontrolled growth of cells--but the basal cell will not spread even if it's around for years, which makes it pretty benign. The melanoma will spread, which makes it malignant, but if caught early can be cured completely with surgical excision. So even in the worst case, if your grade 2 MCT had a high probability of spreading--and it sounds like that is NOT the case given that you're not having chemo or radiation--it's been removed and very likely will never, ever return.

Now, for your mom's piece of mind, you need to go for your checkups and she needs to check you out all over every once in while. My mom tries to make me think I'm getting a full body massage when she does that, but I'm not fooled. Your mom is gonna be a nervous nellie for awhile and you just have to put up with it!

Now tell her to get off the internet so she can start having fun again with you and your bro!
dancing
[notify]
Sierra

Urr urr urr!- Speak loud and- proud!!

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 4:35pm PST 
Well wishes going your way for good physical health and to help you through this trying mentally exhusting time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5