GO!

Dog Lethargic and shaking

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Katie

Great family- doggy

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 11:01am PST 
First, I will be taking our Katie to the vet tomorrow to have her checked out, but wanted to hear if anyone had a doggy that went through what my Katie is going through.

Symptoms are: lethargy, eating but not as "quickly" as she usually does, not drinking as much, but still drinking and urinating and not sure if BM. She shakes ALOT and acts like it is hard on her to jump off the couch, or on etc. Acting like it is hard for her to walk, but sometimes acts ok, but majority of the time, she lays about. She is not acting sore on any part of her body and we have given her two shots of penicillin but nothing seems to be working.

She started this around/about last Monday. The reason I haven't taken her to the vet yet was because she is still eating, drinking, urinating well and I thought maybe she just had a tummy virus or something that would go away, but it isn't frown

Any others here that have had a doggy do this? She also will not come when she is called which is NOT her at all. She also seems to not want to be around me at all. We recently (2 months apx.) got a puppy that now lives in the house with us now and although she has acted indifferent, I wasn't sure if that could have anything to do with it?

Any advise, ect. very welcome!

Thanks and I love the site so far!!! big grin

Stefanie
[notify]
Breena

Anything for a- meatball!

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 3:01am PST 
Please let us know what the vet says. My only guess is maybe Lyme disease; lethargy is definitely a sign, and so is limping. I thought I'd also read that they don't drink well either, but maybe that's not true in all cases.

Two shots of penicillin won't have much effect on any ailment, you need a whole 7-12 day course. Even longer for Lyme (I think I had antibiotics for 20 days when I had suspected Lyme). All a small dose like that will do is help to make existing bacteria more resistant, definitely a big no-no.

Good luck and let us know what the vet says!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 8:22am PST 
Hope you get into the vet early and he can figure it out fast. My sister had a miserable night, I think her tummy hurts too. A sore tummy makes it hard to jump on to the bed and she waves her paws around a lot. She was doing that last week after eating a paper towel but that is long gone!
[notify]

Abbey

Aussie Tomboy!

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 8:39am PST 
My last Aussie showed those symptoms, along with labored breathing and pale gums. It turned out to be cancer. Please get your dog to the vet ASAP.
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 8:49am PST 
My best guess, and it's only a guess, is that she might have injured her back. A lot of times dogs with an injured back or neck will be shaky and lethargic. They won't want to play or jump on things like they used to. Sometimes they'll arch their backs, be tense in the abdomen, or have trouble going to the bathroom.

I would get her in as soon as you can. It might be a pinched nerve or something now, but it's possible she could slip a disk and which would be extremely painful and potentially lead to even bigger problems.

Even if it's not a back problem, since it's been going on for a week now, you do need to get to the bottom of it so that she's more comfortable and back to her normal self. Good luck tomorrow!
[notify]
Breena

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 11:21am PST 
blue dog What did the vet say? Enquiring minds want to know!!blue dog
[notify]
Katie

Great family- doggy

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 5:38am PST 
Sorry for the delay in answering. Right in the middle of our precious doggy getting sick, my mother in law had another heart attack so I haven't been online in a few days!

Anyway, the vet said he believes she injured her back and possibly had an infection, but the bloodwork came back good and he did a thorough exam and ended up putting her on liquid antibiotics and also has her on prednisone pills.

She is doing very very good after 3 days of medication. She has gotten more of her energy back, not completely but I am very glad she is improving. Her appetite is better and also walking etc. better.

Thank you all for your replies and for caring for my doggy!
(((Hugs))) from us and Katie for your concerns!
[notify]
Breena

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 10:30am PST 
Gosh, when it rains it pours! Hope everyone gets better soon!
[notify]