GO!

Benadryl?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Ruby

Ruby Slippers on- a Yellow Brick- Road

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 5:51am PST 
I have seen that many of you have given your dogs benadryl for allergies. What dosage do you give? Ruby is only 11 lbs and I don't want to give her too much.

She scratches her ears (no mites, or fleas and don't appear red) sometimes she "honks" which I have heard referred to as reverse sneezing. Also, a recent occurence is that her lil' black nose and upper lip are getting pink spots. thinking

I have tried different food and really don't see much change except the pink on her nose. So I thought I might try the benadryl , just don't know how much.
[notify]
Honey

Honey,

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 6:20am PST 
i have never had a small dog, so really can't tell you. I sthink the rule of thumb is 1 pills (25 mg) per 25 pounds. I am not sure about that if would apply to dogs as small as yours, the one pill i mean. I know i gave my golden Retrievers--68 to 80 pounds--2 for allergy ithces, but if they got a hot spot i would give them 3 at a time, twice a day. I would suggest you ask your vet.

Edited by author Sun Aug 10, '08 6:22am PST

[notify]
Cookie

Your Never Too- Big To Be A Lap- Dog

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 6:25am PST 
For dogs under 30 lbs - 10mg OR 1mg per pound of body weight.

It is best to call your vet and ask what the right dosage is for your dog.

My dogs have been prescribed Benadryl by a vet before so when they are having hives or other allergy symptoms I already know what dose to give them and that it is safe for them.
[notify]

Mason

The skinny fat- dog!

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 1:09pm PST 
I have read (plus my vet told me when Adlai got stung by a bee) 1 mg. per pound...so it's really easy, if your dog weighs 25 lbs, it is one 25 mg. tab, or the equivalent in liquid....

I have heard that Tavist (the kind with NO decongestant--straight Tavist generic Clemastine Fumarate 1.34 mg.) is good for allergies in dogs. CVS has it....you will have to call your vet for dosage, but we have had good luck with 1/2 a tablet twice a day, for a 25-30 lb. dog.
[notify]
Glady Jo

I am weenie,- behold my roar!

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 2:34pm PST 
I agree with 1mg per lb of body weight. What my vet recommended for Glady was to get the children's Benadryl syrup. The kind with no other agents in it (like cough suppressants or pain killers, etc). Then give one cc/mL when she starts to itch. It's worked for us so far, and Glady is approximately 9-10 lbs. way to go
[notify]
Ruby

Ruby Slippers on- a Yellow Brick- Road

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 4:26pm PST 
Thanks so much for all your advice. It sounds like about 1 mg per pound is the consensus. I might call my vet to double check. I was wanting to ask her about Ruby's black nose and lip getting pink spots and if this was unusual.

Have any of you heard of a dog's nose turning from black to pink? She is about 1 and a half years old and always had a black nose and lips. Now all of the sudden we noticed that she is getting pink spots.
I plan to ask the vet but wondered if anyone else had heard of this.
[notify]
Mason

The skinny fat- dog!

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 5:20pm PST 
Yes, I have....Mason's nose went from pure black as a pup to dark on the perimeter and a pink stripe down the middle. When I asked the vet they said it was just a pigment thing....I guess that it happens alot in yellow labs and lighter dogs. I think they call it "Dudley Nose" and it is a fault in confirmation shows.

If I wasn't such a computer moron, I would post a photo of his nose...sorry! Ask your vet though, in case it is something else, this was what it was in his case. There are several other things that can make the pigment change, but I am not sure of details.
[notify]
Glady Jo

I am weenie,- behold my roar!

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 8:00pm PST 
Some kind of plastic used for water and food bowls can cause a dog's nose to lighten. Or so I've read. But I wanted to say that both Lily and Glady have random pink spots on their nose and lips. Doesn't seem to bother them or me though. way to go
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 8:57pm PST 
Bama's nose has lightened and i was told it was the sun.
[notify]
Frida

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 9:21pm PST 
Please check with you vet before starting the treatment with Benadryl.
[notify]