GO!

Has anyone else been having problems with Frontline?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 8:09pm PST 
I hope this isn't redundant. I haven't found any posts on it, so here goes:
I really don't like the idea of chemical flea protection, but my oldest dog has flea allergy dermatitis so bad, it is unavoidable.

I have always used Frontline Plus, as I found a tick on Adlai early in the spring--never even seen one before this year--since F.P. does fleas and ticks, I thought it was our best bet.

Trouble is, it isn't even lasting three weeks. I have found fleas on several occasions, before time for the next application. So we have been resorting to bathing with a neem oil shampoo and the old flea comb, as I do not want to apply the Frontline too frequently.

I wouldn't mind the occasional flea, if it wasn't for his horrific F.A.D. --I hate to see him so itchy and miserable. Has anyone else had problems with Frontline, or is it just a crazy-bad year for fleas around here? (I live just north of Buffalo NY.)

Thanks for any input!
[notify]
Captain- Smokey- BoJingles

Sir Barks A-Lot

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 8:25pm PST 
I have also noticed that this year.. I have used it before on my pups but this year it seems that it is not lasting maybe 2 weeks. I am noticing it on my cats too. I asked the vet and they said its a bad year for fleas. I live in the mid-western states.thinking so its not just you... my vet also recommended a more expensive flea med. I forget which one since he recommed one type for my pups and another for my cats.... good luck
[notify]
Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 8:40pm PST 
Thea-

I don't know anything about it, and I've never used it, but today while I was at the vet I noticed a sign for Comfortis, which is an oral once a month flea preventative. The sign said that it is the only flea preventative that works 100% for the full 30 days. Here is the website:

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

Maybe you should ask your vet about it.
[notify]

Charley, - NPC

The Mgr. lives- in the - toolshed!

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 8:58pm PST 
Our vet sent us something in the mail about Comfortis but we have not tried it. I have not seen any fleas on Charley & Hank but they don't spend a lot of time outdoors because it's been so darned hot this summer. Also, we started a lawn service and they have sprayed the backyard for bugs so that might have helped.

A lot of times, if it doesn't get very cold in the Winter for at least a week. (say, at least a week of below freezing temps) you will have a bigger flea problem come Spring and Summer. That is one of the reasons we had the lawn service spray our yard; we had a pretty mild Winter. But if you live north of Buffalo, you certainly had your share of sub-freezing temps this past Winter!

I certainly understand your reluctance to use Frontline more often. I remember one year when the fleas were bad, my mom added Brewer's Yeast and garlic powder to her dog's food and added a little warm water to it. The yeast/garlic powder made a gravy that her dog Sidney loved. The garlic helped a lot with the fleas and brewer's yeast made his coat soft and shiny. It also neutralized the acid in his urine so he didn't kill as much grass! She got it from a store called Care-A-Lot ( http:///www.carealotpets.com ) Maybe you could try that?

If nothing else works, I would discuss switching preventatives with your vet.
[notify]
Coco

Too cute for my- tail!

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 5:23am PST 
We switched to Frontline because of Coco's seizures and we've noticed it doesn't last very long either. Mom was a big Advantage fan - it kills the fleas, the baby fleas, the eggs - everywhere! You don't have to do a big bomb to get rid of them. If you're only applying Frontline to the dog, then the fleas that are in the carpet, sofa, yard, etc., are still there. Also, there have been some issues about Comfortis, so please ask your vet about it. Of course, there's issues with all of them, IMO! You just have to decide which is the lesser evil.
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 6:51am PST 
Frontline Plus quit working here in Texas where we live. We don't dare use any chemicals on Pokie whatsoever with his epilepsy. We used Frontline on Gizmo and had marginal success, and he had pretty bad flea allergies. :-( The cats get it also, but it doesn't last anywhere near a month. Tried it on our new boy, Jasper, and it caused him to have spasming on his neck and skin irritation, and so he promptly was bathed with Dawn. It's like tossing $15 a pop down the drain.shrug As a last resort, I bought a single dose of Comfortis for Jasper. He is right at 20 lbs., so I got the "Up to 20 lbs" dose as opposed to the next larger, and it DOES kill fleas which in turn seems to have dramatically decreased the flea population in general, and especially indoors where I do battle regularly. Best of all, he's not itching and scratching and all red and torn up from the allergies. Only concern is a bit of a decreased appetite, but then again, we've had record breaking heat, so who knows how much that has to do with the weather? I haven't decided whether to use it regularly yet because he's only had it a couple of weeks, so we're waiting to see how long the effect lasts and whether he has any backlash from its use. Good luck everyone. It's gonna be a long, long summer. frown

Pokie & Jasper's mom
[notify]
Cinnamon

Oh she of the- silken paw

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 7:06am PST 
We have used Frontline Plus for quite a while. Last year it seemed that Frontline wasn't working for us as long as it should. We discussed this with our Doc and the opinion was that perhaps Cini was getting wet before the 24-hour water restriction thus weakening the Frontline. Well, we weren't convinced, but we were more diligent.

This year we haven't had any issues with the Frontline. It has worked well for us in '08. So we wonder if different batches might have a problem with quality control. Perhaps some batches are weaker than others???? Or maybe as some pups are saying here, maybe the fleas and ticks are building a resistance to the Frontline + ????????

For you pups who have health issues, we can recommend the herb rosemary. It works great in shampoo and soap. Or you can just do like our mom did with Kenyon who had health issues. Mom grows the rosemary (it's really easy) and she would rub the trimmings over Kenyon's fur once or twice a week. It worked wonders. Kenyon smelled great and didn't get the flea cooties.

Best of luck with your cooties. They are awful to have.
[notify]
Bear

Best dog EVER!

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 7:22am PST 
Ditto Theo and Captain. It does seem to only last a couple weeks. Do most pups find Advantage better and longer lasting? I'm afraid to try Comfortis - too new.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 7:30am PST 
Mom doesn't like chemicals, so she uses Diatomaceous Earth on us, sort of like a flea powder, and she flea combs us, just to make sure none have moved in. We haven't found a dead one yet (or a live one, for that matter) but it should work on ticks, too, as it works mechanically, by cutting the bug's exoskeleton open and drying them out.
Hey, Cini, if that rosemary really works, Mom might try that as a backup, too!
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 10:20am PST 
I use a natural flea and tick spray (works for mosquitos too). If I remember correctly it's called "Natural Defense". I was a little skeptical at first but it actually works.

I need to find a place around here that sells DE too. I hear that stuff is incredible.

ETA: When I first bought my house 5 years ago, it was infested with fleas. I put 20 mule team borax (I think that's what it's called) all over my carpets and let it sit for 24 hours then vacuumed. No more fleas since (knock on wood. bol!)

Edited by author Thu Aug 7, '08 10:22am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4