GO!

Lump near eye

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 10:19am PST 
I've just noticed a hard lump on the outer corner of Abby's right eye. It's about the size of a pencil eraser and rock hard. Has one else ever had one of these or know what it might be? It doesn't seem to bother her or hurt because she will let me touch it, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 11:00am PST 
Hi Abby, it could be a wart or a skin tag, get the vet to check it out to make sure it is nothing nasty.dog
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 12:11pm PST 
Thanks, Quigley. But would a wart or skin tag be that hard? I don't have any prior experience with this sort of thing, except on myself, but I always thought that those were softer tissue. It almost feels like bone it's so hard.
I do plan on calling my vet on Monday...obviously it's not worth an emergency visit, I guess a 'mom's' initial response is concern - BOL!
Thanks for the ideas!
[notify]

quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 1:46pm PST 
It could be a duct around the eye that has become blocked or an ulcer or anything really, but if theres no pain get it checked on mon. Get better soon Abbydog
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 5:55pm PST 
Hi Abby,

Did you just notice the bump today? Is it visible or only by touch did you know it was there?

My first thought was a fly bite. Nallah gets fly bites on her face all the time and they swell up and can be very dense/hard. I don't know if you remember, but she had a bump on her tummy about 2 weeks ago that I freaked out about....I'm guessing all it was was a fly bite because it was gone in about a week. It was very hard and dense. It would be a good idea to have it checked out by your vet anyways and see what they say.

But I know how you feel, any bumps/bruises on our babies and us mommies are freakin' out! As long as she's not in pain, she'll be fine until Monday. Keep us posted! hug
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Barked: Sun Aug 3, '08 6:24am PST 
OK...this morning when I looked at that lump by her eye it was bloody. Dan wiped it off and there was a little puss and blood. She let him wipe it off with no problem and it still doesn't appear that it is bothering her....any new ideas?
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Barked: Sun Aug 3, '08 6:35am PST 
Now that you mention it Nallah I do remember that thread. Did it bleed or anything like that? A bump was worrysome enough but now that it's bleeding I'm a little more concerned.
[notify]