GO!

Weak bladder any way to strengthen

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Mandy and - Casey

2PUPPIES 2x the- work 4x the fun

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 3:40pm PST 
Casey is almost 4 1/2 months and sometimes seams to dribble before getting outside. Sometimes he will pee in house but if he goes to the door he dribbles.

I am giving him cranberry pills now every day starting today. I find he has less accidents when on them as well.

I am pretty sure it is a really week bladder as he took a long time not to pee in his crate. We can mostly get 5 hours now during day. Night he goes from 10 to 5:30 am thats it he has to go out at 530
[notify]
Cash TT

I got the best- Fur Coat on the- Block!

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 3:44pm PST 
he's still young, and still learning. A 5 month old puppy can really only hold his bladder, realistically... for about five hours.
If he holds it longer, you risk some helath problems- such as weak bladder (which may be why he dribbles) and UTI's.

So be patient- as he gets older, he'll hold it better.

Edited by author Mon Jul 21, '08 3:45pm PST

[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 7:49pm PST 
Have you had him tested for a UTI? Baloo was doing something really similar at around 4 months, I took in a sample on a whim and turned out he had an infection AND crystals. frown

So if you haven't already, I'd take one in, if only to rule it out. smile
[notify]

Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 7:49pm PST 
Casey, that is a good question. Mommy asked our vet if there is a way for me to do doggie Kegel exercises!

laugh out loud
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 11:54pm PST 
Casey, I think I had posted in one of your other threads about the urinary issues. From my research, standard poodles are one of the breeds that are prone to Juvenile Renal Dysplasia. I don"t want to scare you, and this may not even be what's going on, but really, a urine should be checked and possibly kidney values should be run to make sure there isn't a problem. I have had a JRD puppy, and the sooner you catch the problem the better it is to make your puppy more comfortable.

Even if it isn't the worst case scenario (JRD), if you believe this is an abnormal behavior, I wouldn't hesitate to at least ask the vet about it and see if there's anything you can do. It may be as simple as one of the other posters suggested, that he might just need to go out more frequently since he's a puppy. But losing a pet to JRD makes me hypersensitive to any puppy that is having urinary problems or drinking excessively.
[notify]
Mandy and - Casey

2PUPPIES 2x the- work 4x the fun

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 3:03am PST 
We talked to vet and she said let it go for a bit as still young and she will test him if it continues this is about 3 weeks ago so maybe at 5 months I should get it done. I think I will get a sample done for crystals though
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 7:17am PST 
They're never too young for an infection. wink

Better safe than sorry. I let it go for awhile too, thinking it was a housetraining problem. I can't even tell you how awful I felt when I found out that he had an infection and crystals and I hadn't had him checked sooner. frown
[notify]