GO!

Hacking like cats do when they have hairballs.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Coop - Adopted

Finally home.

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 8:45am PST 
Coop has already been to the Vet a few times in just a week, and the Rescue can't pay for him to keep going. He was doing fine until last night. All night long he was hacking like he had a hairball. He throws up a little when he does it, and it always is worse after he is running around. He's doing it a lot now. Any ideas?
[notify]
Coop - Adopted

Finally home.

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 9:44am PST 
I gave Coop some Benedryl, and he seems to be improving. We cut our grass yesterday, then he went on a play-date and was running through high grass and weeds. Maybe he has allergies?
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 11:28am PST 
Brody does this little hacking thing too sometimes and it sounds like a hairball. I've actually taken him in for it before and the vet believed it was allergy/dust related (it gets really windy here sometimes, and that's when his allergies get worse). Is it humid where you live? If not, a humidifier might help. That helps Brody in the winter months.

H0pe Cooper is feeling better soon!
[notify]

Zack

Spoiled boy

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 11:36am PST 
Two things.

1. Yes it could be allergies. Zack has bad allergies he is especailly allergic to fresh cut grass. He doesn't make the sound you describe but he does wheeze terribly.

2. Has your dog been borded or kept in a kennel area with other dogs? If so have you had a Bordetella vaccine. Bordetella = Kennell cough. Which can be serious if not treated. If you dog is hacking (sounding like a cat with a hairball) I would look into that. Because when I think of that sound in a dog I think kennell cough. And they don't have to be in a kennel to get it. It's highly contagious.
[notify]
Coop - Adopted

Finally home.

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 1:30pm PST 
He's a foster pup. He has been vaccinated, but very recently. He is hacking more now, and it is deep down in his chest. I e-mailed the Rescue people, and I am waiting on a response.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 1:35pm PST 
I wonder if its a reaction from the vaccination?

If it is kennel cough, its generally easy treat, so that's good news. Hope everything is okay!
[notify]
Coop - Adopted

Finally home.

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 1:57pm PST 
It's been 4 days. He would not have a reaction now. Thanks Brody. hug
[notify]
Hallie

Shelter Beagles- need homes

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 2:04pm PST 
It sounds like reverse sneezing. Its very common and you can help the dog by giving it a pat on the back or opening its mouth. Do a dogster search for it, it has been in alot of forums!
[notify]
Coop - Adopted

Finally home.

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 4:00pm PST 
Coop has kenel cough. We have some medicine for him now. This poor boy has been through it! Thank you all for the advice and support. hug
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 9:11am PST 
My dog is part poodle and chiuaua??? He was spitting up a clear mucus. I read somewhere that it could be the glade air freshener.... I removed it he stopped his hacking. Thank you who ever shared that advice. AMAZING RESULTS
[notify]