GO!

Tumor on Foot(Not my dog!)!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '08 10:14pm PST 
So I am taking care of a dog for a friend of mine who is out of town for about 10 days. Oneof the dogs is a 13 year old girl with a tumor about the size of a golfball on her foot. It doesn't bother her, which is why her owner won't do anything about it. He also doesn't want to have it taken off because she IS 13 years old, and IMO it would be really risky to take it off at her age.

What do you guys think of this? Do you think he is making the right decision by just leaving it?
[notify]
Gracie

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 8:28am PST 
I am not sure where this tumor is located, but it may already be too late to have it removed. One of my cockers developed a tumor on the back of her foot just above the paw. This was probably approaching the size of a gulf ball but not quite that big. I discovered it shortly before the holidays & decided to wait until after the holidays to have it removed. That nearly cost this 4 yr old dog her life! This ulcerated tumor was cancerous. It was the type of cancer that if they were able to remove the entire thing, she would be permanently cured. The vet did not think there would be enough tissue left after the removal of the tumor to close the wound. That first year after the surgery was touch & go & a lot of worrying & checking to see if the tumor would return. Thank God the vet was able to get all of the cancer cells & that was 3 years ago now. At age 13 yr, that would be a big concern to me too. I would think twice before putting a dog that age through something like this. If it ulcerates, there will probably be no choice.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 4:39pm PST 
Thanks for the response Gracie. The tumor is on the outside of her right foot, so she does't walk on it or anything. I was just wondering if leaving it alone was right for the dog, and now I think it is. Thanks again!
[notify]

♥Lenn- on♥

How could you- not LOVE this- face???

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 7:16pm PST 
I wish my sister would have learned her lesson about tumors long ago, but she didn't. As some of you know 2 of her dogs live at my house (even longer story and I'm NOT going into it) Both of them are 13-14 years old and both in relatively good health now. I noticed about a year ago that Jadah, the malamute mix, had a small pea sized mammary tumor and told my sister right away. She did nothing. She waited 9 months to remove this tumor (which btw was mammary cancer but had not spread) and it weighed 4 1/2 lbs! The sad part is that if she would have done it sooner the dog wouldn't have spent months suffering. The same goes for her other older dog Evander, a pit mix. He just had a non-cancerous tumor removed from his rectum and the only reason she finally did that was because it ruptured and she had to.

Bottom line, please tell your friend to at least get the dog and the tumor checked out. It will be much easier to remove when its small vs. when its bigger and absolutely has to be removed (like evander's did) Jadah and Evander both had bloodwork (and x-rays for Jadah) before surgery and both recovered fine.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 10:04pm PST 
Hershey had a growth on her paw pad almost 3 years ago. My vet wanted to take a watch and see approach, but I wanted it off, tested, and the situation over. Little did I know that 4 days after the surgery Katrina would hit and we would be doing recovery in one heck of a mess. shock. As it turns out, it was a growth caused by her licking a wound repeatedly until a growth occurred. Hers was about the size of a quarter.
[notify]