GO!

Canine tooth extraction: Will he still be able to eat dry dog food afterward?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sam

Puppy Houdini of- the world!

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:33am PST 
My sweetheart Sam is at the vet this very minute getting his top left canine tooth extracted. He's not been eating much the past week, due to the pain from that tooth. They're also doing a cleaning and will check the rest of his teeth carefully in case he needs further removals. My question though is - as I failed to ask the vet this - will he be able to continue eating dry dog food? Or is this going to completely mess that up for him? I imagine he'll need soft foods during recovery, but how long does that usually take? I mean, I can ask him this afternoon, but I'm thinking about going to the store to get some canned food before he comes home. Does anyone know? What can I expect afterward?
[notify]
Bear

Best dog EVER!

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:44am PST 
Bear cracked a tooth and it got infected. They removed it and he didn't have any problems after that. He was never on soft food or any kind of restrictions. Hope you feel better!
[notify]
Chino

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:45am PST 
Most dogs I know who've had this done just need the soft food afterwards and then they're fine. Although depending on how many teeth are removed and the extent of gum damage and all that some weren't able to eat dry food without some water added to soften everything up. I'd say you're fine! As far as recovery I don't know, but hope everything goes well and you'll be surprised how your bright energetic food loving friend will bounce back!!
[notify]

Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:53am PST 
Dogs mostly chew with their back teeth or swallow food wholesmile

You may want to feed soft food til his mouth is healed from haveing the tooth taken out, but as long as he has teeth in the back, he should be able to chew dog bisquits and kibble just fine.

Good luck! I hope you don't have to have many teeth pulled!
[notify]
Sam

Puppy Houdini of- the world!

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:54am PST 
Excellent news! big grin Thanks so much Bear, Chino and Gracie. I think I might go ahead and pick up his premium dog food in canned form, just in case. Besides, he'll think it's a special treat even if he doesn't have any further pain. smile

Edited by author Thu Jun 12, '08 7:55am PST

[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 8:06am PST 
Gio just had his back molar out last week. He eats raw food, so I have him on soft ground stuff now, and will likely keep it soft or another week or so yet. But after that, I fully intend to get him back on whole raw, bones and all. He'll just learn to crunch on the other side, he already is with the occasional crunchy snacks I've given him so far.

Dogs that eat kibble really don't even use their canines to eat. So one missing won't cause any issues.

way to go
[notify]
Winnie

Kickin butt now,- takin names- later

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 9:08am PST 
Winnie had to wait 2 weeks after her dental to go back to kibble. I soaked her kibble to mush along with some canned and she was fine. No troubles eating now at all!
[notify]
Buck

Buck

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 10:48am PST 
WHEN bUCK HAD A DENTAL, A MOLAR REMOVED AND A VERY SMALL BENIGN TUMOR REMOVED FROM HIS GUM, I SOAKED HIS KIBBLE TIL SOT, ADDED SOME CANNED FOOD N SOME WATER AND THEN PUREED IT AND IT LAPPED IT UP INSTEAD OF EATING. I DID THIS FOR A FEW DAYS. PROBABLY WASN'T NECESSSARY,BUT I THOUGHT HIS ENTIRE MOUTH COULD BE SORE FROM HAVING ALL TEETH CLEANED,ONE REMOVED, THE TUMOR REMOVED.,
[notify]
Chloe Payton- Alexa

Please love me

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 11:38am PST 
I have no top teeth except a few in the back (had to have hem pulled after mom found me in the shelter with my teeth rotting) and I only eat dry food.

Mom tried soft but I said "Oh no I am eating like a big girl!!!"
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 12:09pm PST 
My dads dog teddy had a few teeth removed including one in back. He's a little sloppy now but he eats kibble just fine.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2