GO!

Bella is constantly licking her private area...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bella

Bella Boom Boom- Loves to Vroom- Vroom~

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 1:16am PST 
Dear Dogsters, my last 2 postings are quite embarassing. Bella keeps licking her private part (the one that makes her female)...She was spayed at 2 mos of age by the way.

I checked it out, and there are no flea or other insect bites, she has no fleas on the rest of her body, she's got no skin allergies, as far as I can tell.

The one thing she does have is small tufts of brown hair (though the rest of her is white) covering her tiny private part, and if you touch the hair around it, it's rough to the touch. Is that is what is itching her???

Should I try to cut the hairs down there (its only about 1/2 inch thick)? Or will that make it itchier? I can't shave it- its not long enough, and I might make her bleed if she moves the wrong way!

She does it DAILY, and now I'm worrying b/c it's not stopped for awhile now...

Thanks in advance,
Bella's Mom
[notify]
Zoe

Im OCD,- Obsessive Cat- Disorder.

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 2:13am PST 
Zoe will lick herself everytime after shes gone pee. The hairs there are normal, trimming may make it itchier. Not sure why the skin would be rough though.
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 4:06am PST 
It's possible to have a vaginal or skin infection in the vulvar area going on. Excessive licking can cause the roughness. I would go to the vet and have a swab done so you can determine what if any bacteria you may be dealing with.

Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 6:43am PST 
I think a trip to the vet with a sample of pee might be a good idea. Rosie does it everytime she pees - she never used to. The vet thinks it might be because she has glucose in her urine and it tastes sweeter than it used to.

But do not cut the hair around that area.
[notify]