GO!

Why is my tail going BALD?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Fancy-Kehley- r

Road Runner

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 11:40am PST 
I have 2 bald spots on my tail, close to the tip! I have been on 2 Antibiotics 2 kinds of ointment and I am taking Vitamin C and Vitamin E! The spots don't itch, I don't scratch or bite at it, in fact, if it weren't for the lack of hair, I would not know anything was wrong!! The vet did say it was an infection, but I can't get rid of it!!!!! The skin looks good in fact!! Anyone have any ideas??? As far as I know I have no allergies, and the spots started about 2-3 months ago, they looked like bumps at first but it was just my bones showing through my skin. It's starting to look like a Rat Tail, in fact that's what the Vet called it.
[notify]
Raven RIP- 9/17/97-12/1- 6/08

Running free- with Daddy at- the Bridge

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 12:15pm PST 
Hmmm....if it's not red or itchy and antibiotics aren't helping, then you might want to get a second opinion on the cause. Besides infection or allergies (both of which would be likely to cause irritation), it could be an autoimmune problem or a reaction to (but not an allergy) to food or a environmental item.

Go see another vet to see if you can find out what the real problem is.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 12:38pm PST 
Heck, it could even be something as simple as a nutritional deficiency. I'd ask another vet, maybe if you can find one that knows something about canine nutrition.
[notify]

Fancy-Kehley- r

Road Runner

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 1:13pm PST 
Thanks, I have seen 2 different Vets, one is my Favorite ! We have rulled out a Thyroid problem, at first my blood work was border line so I had more complex lab work done and it was perfect! I was thinking maybe food, but I'm on the same stuff as always, and I don;t eat junk, carrots, but no junk! But I guess it could still be food. 2 years ago I did loose hair on my chest, a fist size area, but that was not an infection, and it has never happened again. I done with my pills today, and we have a call into the vet to see what is next. Getting into another clinic would take months.....we have a shortage here!!
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 3:33am PST 
Cushings? my neighbors dog started out with the tail thing....
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 6:07am PST 
A bacterial infection is certainly a possibility. There can also be endocrine disorders like Cushings or even hormonal excess of estrogen that can cause areas of non itchy alopecia. Depending on the age of the dog you can also be seeing congenital problem with the follicles....definitely keep looking at other options of causes...skin issues are often problematic to root out the cause.
I'm glad it's not bothering him though..at least he's not in constant itchy discomfort..good luck.

Edited by author Thu Jun 12, '08 6:09am PST

zack

Master Zack

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '08 3:29pm PST 
We are also having a bad hair month--started with Staph,but we got downgraded to seasonal allergies today,but still no hair. We are sending encouraging thoughts to you for the growing of long luxurious Fancy hairhug
[notify]
Fancy-Kehley- r

Road Runner

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 12:49pm PST 
Well, the bald spots on my tail seem to be growing hair again...now I have 2 spots going bald on my butt, one on either side of the base of my tail!!! I go back to the Vet in acouple of weeks. It will be interesting to see what they say to this!!

Thanks to all on their thoughts and ideas!!
[notify]
zack

Master Zack

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 7:14pm PST 
Zack called the psychic hotline and they predict the end of the summer will signal the Return of Hair==Zack says it's hard to get the ladies with seasonal pattern baldness===Good luck with more growthpuppy
[notify]