GO!

Chatter Jaw

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Maggie

Maggie Pooter- Scoot

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 10:40am PST 
Well, this is what we call it anyway. Lately, Maggie has had what we call chatter jaw where her bottom jaw chatters just like she is cold. That's not what it is though because it can be hot inside and she'll do it.

It normally happens after one of her licking episodes (she licks everything, carpet, bedding, couch, you, me, I think this is pretty common in BT's)

Her bottom jaw just chatters like a humans would when they were cold or scared. It lasts anywhere between 10 and 40 seconds and rubbing under her jaw makes it stop.

She shows NO signs of Petit Mal Seizure as this was a concern for me. She doesn't even act like she notices when she's doing it.

The vet isn't to concerned, said to just watch her and if it gets worse to call him.

Has anyone else experienced this?
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 10:48am PST 
Fungi does this sometimes when he sniffs something or when he "checks out" his furbro's and fursis' pee outside (sounds gross, I know). It almost looks like he's smacking his lips. Is that what you're talking about? Fungi also makes a light puffing sound with his lips when he does it.
If this is what your pup is doing, I think it's fairly normal...
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 12:56pm PST 
It could be since Maggie has a little obsessive/compulsive licking before hand that a buildup of energy or tension is causing the chattering afterwards. Is she getting enough mental and physical exercise in general?

Buddy ☮

Ducks Are My- Nemeses

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 1:11pm PST 
We know exactly what you mean...Holly did this a lot in her old age....and we never figured out what caused it!!

Buddy does it when we get his leash out sometimes, or when he is nervous...we'd appreciate it if anybody knows what this is exactly!
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 2:35pm PST 
I know a dog who does this when she wants to go inside when she is outside! My dads dog also shivered whenever he was out side(In Texas, mind you) and he would get let inside when he shivered. I think it could also be excitement linked because I have seen dogs chatter/shiver when they are excited.
[notify]
King

King

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 3:48pm PST 
My dogs do a sort of chattering or smacking of their mouth like Fungi described when they have sniffed and licked one anothers pee. Dogs can be so gross laugh out loud I don't know why they do the mouth thing but my dogs are healthy and normal.

ETA: My Pit Bulls do it more than my GSD's do shrug

Edited by author Mon May 19, '08 3:50pm PST

[notify]
ORSON the- DOGGE

if i had thumbs,- i'd rule the- world!

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 5:40pm PST 
Orson has done it after smelling a female's hoo-hoo and he also does it when extremely exited.
[notify]
Snoopy

Self-appointed- Cookie Inspector

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 5:58pm PST 
A females hoo-hoo!?big laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]
Maggie

Maggie Pooter- Scoot

Barked: Tue May 20, '08 5:43am PST 
Thanks for all your responses. Good to know I'm not alone.

Maggie gets exercised and she also gets to play a lot. She likes to find hidden things.

Its not even when she is excited really. Her licking is somewhat obsessive compulsive as once she gets going she doesn't want to quit. She'll lick a wet spot on the bed the size of a pillow. Its nasty and wears sheets out cause I have to wash them so much.

Maybe licking the carpet excites her. Who knows! I guess I'll just keep an eye on her and make sure it doesn't progress into something more. Until then, I won't worry about it so much!

Thanks guys! blue dog
[notify]