GO!

Need over the counter flea drops

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bella

I came, I saw, I- chewed it up.

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 5:21am PST 
My 2 dogs are getting fed up with the fleas this year. We have used Advantage in the past until we found out our son is alergic to it. Now we need to find an over the counter flea drop (back of the neck) that hopefully is safe for our son.
Can anyone recommend any brand that might work?

Thanks for any help.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 5:45am PST 
Hartz, Bio-Spot, Seargents.... kill your pets before they kill fleas. Stay far, far away.

Really, you should contact your vet. Yes the products are more expensive but they work so much better and are much safer. Revolution works really well. It absorbs into the skin within 2 hours and is alcohol based and not oily so your son shouldn't be coming into contact with it. Revolution also protects against heartworm, mange and intestinal parasites.

Revolution is well worth the investment. OTC flea products are so substandard that it like throwing your money down the toilet and you risk flushing your dog's health too.

Good Luck. wave
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 7:11am PST 
I agree with Beau...check with your vet for advice to see what flea medication would be the most safe. We use frontline and it works really well for us, but since we don't have children in the house, I'm not sure how safe it is around children.

Another option would be to keep your pup away from the children until the flea drops became dry. The vet may tell you that anyway. Good luck! way to go
[notify]

Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 7:16am PST 
We use Revolution and have for years. My dogs have never had fleas, not once even after we've had fosters come in with fleas.

It really shouldn't cost you that much since your dogs are little compared to my big lugs.
[notify]
Bella

I came, I saw, I- chewed it up.

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 9:11am PST 
O.K. After checking around, I have it down to Advantage K9, Frontline, and Revolution. Only problem now is the weights. These products break down into 11-20 lbs and 21-55 lbs. I got a plump pooch at 30 lbs and skinny minnie at 20 lbs.
So what are my chances of getting the 21-55 lbs for both of them? I'm sure I could plump up the skinny one.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 9:41am PST 
Don't even bother to plump up the skinny one. Actually, I think the doses are 10.1-20lbs and 20.1 to 40lbs. So your 20lb pup should be fine. Heck, even if your 20lb pup was really 18, fudging a little up is fine. These products are really low dose and safe and you should be fine with the 20-40lb dosing.
[notify]