GO!

Jerky Treats Causing Fanconi Syndrome in Dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bailey Daisy (adopted 5/30/10)

Fanconi's- Syndrome- Survivor!

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 1:39pm PST 
Jerky Treats Causing Fanconi Syndrome in Dogs

I nearly fell over as I read through the website. When I began fostering Bailey two years ago, she would only eat Chicken Jerky. I knew to read dog food/treat labels then but I was totally unaware of the dangers of Chinese ingredients. For a month and a half finicky Bailey virtually lived off chicken jerky.

Bailey became ill 6 weeks after I began fostering her. She was hospitalized for a week, with my veterinarian taking her home at night. The four veterinarians at the clinic we used at the time were working together and consulting with other veterinarians, trying to get a diagnosis in time to save Bailey.

Bailey was given supportive care, while each test came back negative. Meanwhile, in just a week's time, she had lost 1/3 of her body weight and couldn't even lift her head. Our vet informed us she did not think Bailey would survive and asked if we wanted to continue.

Through incredible fate, Bailey was ultimately diagnosed with Fanconi Syndrome and started on Dr. Gonto's regimen for treating the disease. Bailey was the first known case of a Chihuahua with this rare disease. Thankfully, Bailey has an incredible will to live and within just a few days of diagnosis, she was stable and at home.

It hasn't been easy, however. Bailey still needs ongoing medical care and takes many medications daily, including BIG sodium bicarbonate pills that she absolutely hates. Unlike Basenji's (who are prone to congenital Fanconi's Syndrome), she has little reserve and, therefor, requires even closer monitoring.

Bailey is the happiest and friendliest Chihuahua I've ever known. She has been a trooper through it all and has never lost her happy outlook on life. Sadly, due to this aquired disease, Bailey's life will most likely be cut short. Meanwhile, her quality of life is still great.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 3:38pm PST 
Sweetie, I have Fanconi Syndrome too. So sorry that you have been so ill. It was actually diagnosed in March and I am back to see my special vet on Thursday for a check up on how my blood is doing.

I was never really ill, mummy noticed in January that I was peeing and drinking loads. The vet tested my pee and I had a really high amount of glucose in my urine but not in my blood and I had a UTI (which is common for Fanconi sufferers). My vet had not really heard of Fanconi Syndrome so mummy sent my pee to the University of PA and they confirmed it was Fanconi Syndrome. She also emailed Dr. Gonto who was very helpful.

My pal the Basenji Stormie, has Fanconi Syndrome and luckily enough there is a vet that he goes to which is only about 90 minutes from me that does the special blood gas test - that is who I am seeing againon Thursday.

I have to have 10 sodium bicarbonate tablets every day and that has proved really difficult. I probably only eat about 8 a day and although they are supposed to be whole she has to break them into fours and I eat them squished in pieces of cheese. I have got to be pretty good eating these now though.

I too got this from Chinese jerky treats. I have posted many threads about this. I was never given the recalled ones either but did you know that the Waggin Train ones are irradiated to make them "safe". There is a lot on the web about this including "There have been over 400 scientific studies submitted to the FDA linking irradiated foods to kidney failure and testicular cancer in animals. Effects from feeding irradiated foods in general are slow to emerge. The chicken jerky treats manufactured in China have been irradiated using a leftover bi-product of spent nuclear rods called “Cesium 137”.

There is a group class=bodyTextRev target=site href="http://www.dogster.com/group/Living_with_fanconi_syndrome-9525">LIVING WITH FANCONI SYNDROME here but it is almost all Basenjis.

Since September 2007 there have been hundreds of small dogs diagnosed with Fanconi Syndrome, all from eating Chinese chicken jerky of differing brands.
[notify]
Dillinger

"Escape Artist"

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 4:25pm PST 
I don't think letting a pet " Virtually live off jerky treats" is a very good idea. All treats should be given sparingly and only on occasion. Treats should be given for a reward but not as a meal substitute. A dog should get maybe 2 treats at most a day.... a biscuit and a jerky or bully treat or even fresh fruit or veggies. Otherwise, this is sort of like the case of someone blaming their obesity on McDonald's food when they eat it 3 x a day , 7 days a week.

Edited by moderator Mon May 26, '08 8:08am PST

Edited by forums moderator

Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 4:32pm PST 
Dillinger...have you had a dog who refuses to eat almost everything you give it? I have, and if Arko had decided he liked jerky treats, hell yea he'd get those instead of eating nothing...sometimes you have to do what you have to do until you find something that works
[notify]
Ann -- CGC

Where's my ball?

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 5:05pm PST 
Thank you for posting this. I had not heard about jerky treats causing this syndrome. I don't feed Ann these treats, but I have a friend who does, so I passed the information on.
[notify]
Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 5:16pm PST 
If the dog is hungry enough, they will eat what is put in front of them, especially if they know that there isn't any alternative to wait for....
[notify]
Bailey Daisy (adopted 5/30/10)

Fanconi's- Syndrome- Survivor!

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 5:36pm PST 
Dillinger, chicken jerky is made from 100% chicken breast. Unlike McDonald's, this is one of the safest, healthiest treats you can offer a dog. That is, of course, unless it's contaminated.

Saskia, Bailey weighed a mere 2lbs when rescued from a shelter. She is an extremely finicky eater, was extremely fearful and stressed, and per our vet's advice, we fed her "anything we could get her to eat that's safe and within reason." Bailey was nearly starved to death, to the point that there was concern for her organs shutting down and her losing her eyesight. We initially followed your theory but, had we continued, Bailey would be dead, she had no reserve. Bailey has since doubled her weight and, as you can see in her photo, has a very small frame and not an ounce of fat.

Edited by author Sun May 18, '08 5:39pm PST

[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 5:43pm PST 
Not all dogs will eat anything if they get hungry enough, especially if they are sick.

Sorry that Bailey is going through this!! We were aware of this thanks to Rosie!!
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Appreciate me- for the gift- that I am!

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 5:55pm PST 
Saskia, I also wanted to add something you, as a large dog owner, may not be aware of. With tiny dogs, there is always concern for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can cause seizures, coma, and death. To prevent this, tiny dogs need more frequent feedings.

Edited by author Sun May 18, '08 5:59pm PST

[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 5:18am PST 
I have said this so many times to dog owners here that have large dogs and believe in the "they will eat when they are hungry" attitude. No the won't! This is fact, small dogs (especially chis) will not eat if they don't like something period. As Jack says, they can become hypoglycermic very quickly and if a dog is sick, as Bailey was he probably wouldn't eat very much at all and you are grateful for anything that you can get inside them.

Two years ago no-one knew about poisonous foods from China. It was not until early last year that all this started happening. And when chicken jerky was taken off the shelves it was only the one that Walmart sold exclusively.

Rosie ate one chicken jerky a day - at bedtime. Pepe too but he is a bigger dog and it has only affected small dogs. I had stopped feeding Waggin Train before Rosie was diagnosed with this, I was just giving her and Pepe the Dogswell brand of duck and chicken jerky. I stopped giving shop brought jerky of any kind in January this year when I thought it might be Fanconi Syndrome.

Anyway, if you have not had a small dog you will have no idea of how difficult it can sometimes be to feed them.

Hugs to Bailey hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3