GO!

Is catnip bad for Dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Izzie

Barked: Mon May 5, '08 7:10pm PST 
Izzie loves Dash's little mice, so I want to make sure that the catnip is okay for her. I was actually thinking of rolling some tennis balls around in some catnip to help get her excited for a game of fetch.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon May 5, '08 8:14pm PST 
I've never heard of this before. Catnip is a part of the mint group and even humans can ingest it (I know there's a type of tea out there, I think it's called 'relaxation' that uses catnip as an ingredient). I've caught the dogs numerous times trying to play with the cat's catnip toys and we've never had an incident for all the years we've had cats with dogs.
[notify]
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Mon May 5, '08 9:49pm PST 
I've heard Shiba Inus are one of the few breeds that have a reaction to catnip. Wonder which others it affects?thinking
[notify]

Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 6:32am PST 
I have never heard of any breed of dog being affected by catnip. Nothing on the web about it either, in fact every article I have read says that catnip is absolutely fine for dogs. Rosie loves the kitties catnip mice!happy dance
[notify]
Spice

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 8:58am PST 
Our dogs have eaten catnip many times, doesn't seem to bug them.
Izzie sure is a cutie!blue dog
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 10:21am PST 
Bo used to eat those little mice whole. Of course we had to make him vomit it up, (needless to say there arent any little mice around anymore!). He has also eaten just catnip and it never did anything to him.
[notify]
ChiChi

Ay Chihuahua!!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 10:28am PST 
The catnip should be just fine for a dog. The thing I would be more worried about would be eating the mouse or toy that the catnip was part of and causing an obstruction.

Rosie, I like catnip mice too! cloud 9
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 10:28am PST 
Duuuuuude! Your dog enjoys that rapidly-growing feline mint? I have two words for you that add up to major fun:
CATNIP. BUBBLES.

happy dance
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 10:34am PST 
I eat Wally's catnip mice to stop him from batting the darned thing around!big laugh

It is the fact the cat wants it. That is my only attraction.red facelaugh out loud

But like others have said, it is like mint. Just beware of the cat in your poop!silenced Don't know if they might rub in it if is smells like nip.shrug
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 7:32pm PST 
Both Addy (Chinese Crested) and her friend Puccini (Maltese) really like catnip toys and seem to react mildly to catnip. Nothing like as strong as the cats in their respective households react, but something seems to be going on.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2