GO!

Diarrhea, let it run its course or give some Pepto?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 4:29pm PST 
Sedona has the runs.confused I'm not sure what caused it but it started around 3 am this morning. She's empty but still trying to go. At 4:23 this afternoon I gave her some hamburger and rice. I just had to take her out to poop again just a little bit ago. Other than asking to go out with great urgency she's acting normal.

Anyway, should I just let the diarrhea run its course or should I give her some Pepto? I typically let it run its course, but I don't know how uncomfortable it's making her. Thoughts?
[notify]
Nikki

you are what you- eat :)

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 4:38pm PST 
Is she drinking enough water? If she's not then you might want to go ahead with the Pepto because dogs get dehydrated very easily. If she is drinking water, I usually wait 24 hrs before giving medication or paying the vet a visit. She probably just ate something she wasn't supposed to on her walk or something (silly dogs wink) You can also try Chicken and Rice, it's usually a bit easier on the stomache.

Hope Sedona feels better smile hug
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 4:42pm PST 
Ditto previous poster. Make sure she is getting enough hydration, try some pedialyte or something, or even a little low sodium broth in her water.

I would probably just let it run its course, if she's still having diarrhea by tomorrow morning or if it persists strongly through the night you may consider a call to the vet and see what they suggest. I hope Sedona is feeling better soon!
[notify]

Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 5:07pm PST 
She just drank some water just a bit ago. I'll make sure I keep an eye on that. Nikki, Sedona is allergic to chicken but thank you for the suggestionwink I hope she gets to feeling better also.

Thanks you twoway to go
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 5:14pm PST 
Lily responds well to kaopectate. I like it better because it's a more natural product. Just clay and pectin.
[notify]
Nikki

you are what you- eat :)

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 7:58pm PST 
haha well I guess you should avoid the chicken then. Have you tried just plain boiled turkey? Or is she allergic to all poultry? and yes, try pedialyte, it'll give her the nutrients she needs smile
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 8:21pm PST 
try some pumpkin... not the pie filling
[notify]
Stella D.- Smith

I see- dog people!-

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 10:40pm PST 
Ditto Daisy... canned pumpkin is great for constipation or diarrhea as it helps to equal out the water in the bowel. Try the pumpkin... you'll be surprised. Good luck!

xoxoxo
[notify]
Zeus

I am naked- Love!!!

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 5:55am PST 
Could try some banana it will help to firm things up. I have only given pumkin for hard poopie so don't know if it works on diahrea.
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 5:57am PST 
Yup! A little canned pumpkin always does the trick for us.
Hope you feel better soon. hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3