GO!

Heartgard Reaction?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Moxie - my precious- angel - 1

I'll do it! Let- me!

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 7:07am PST 
I gave Moxie her antibiotics for her lymes last night, and her first dose of Heartgard for the season. This morning I woke up to something that looked like diarreah - although it may have been vomit, on several spots of the floor. She is just laying around now, and her tummy is making gurgling sounds. She is breathing a little harder than usual. I called the vet, which is usually open on Saturdays, but the tech said both vets are off today and can't be reached. The vet tech on duty told me to just keep an eye on her, and maybe one of the vets would be back later for emergency appointments. I'm assuming this is a reaction from the Heartgard, but maybe she got into something else... Has anyone experienced this after giving Heartgard?
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 7:31am PST 
We use Heartgard without a problem, but that isn't to say that it's right for everypup. Maybe there was a reaction from both meds being taken together? Definitely something to discuss when your vet is in.
[notify]
Moxie - my precious- angel - 1

I'll do it! Let- me!

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 7:37am PST 
I wondered if it could be from the two together too. None of my dogs ever had a problem from Heartgard in the past. Last night before I gave her the meds she helped me take care of the horses and chased a shrew around the barn. She was fine. Shes pretty lethergic now so I called another vet in a neighboring town, and I'm bringing her in at 11:30.
[notify]

Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 3:48pm PST 
hugHope she is all right.
[notify]
Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 4:41pm PST 
Hoping for the best - let us know how Moxie is! Ziggy gets diarrhea for about a day after her Heartgard dose....not sure if that's normal for some dogs or not. But the heavier breathing and lethargy definitely do not sound normal, so I'm glad you're bringing Moxie in!
[notify]