GO!

Can teething cause lack of appetite?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bonny Belle Kurowski (BeBe)

Stewie's Sweetie

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 12:57pm PST 
For the last 2 days I haven't wanted to eat much. I am drinking plenty, but tired. Low grade feaver no vomitting or diahrea, and have all of my vacines.

Mom noticed when checking my gums today that I am getting my 1st new tooth through. So we are wondering if my lack of appetitie and lethargy is due to teething.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:16pm PST 
That is very possible. I am sure you have the Nutrical at hand. Does she want that? How about some ice chips? I know Rosie loved them when she was teething (she still does).
hug
[notify]

Stewie's Sweetie

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:22pm PST 
I don't even want the nurtical but Mom is syringing it with water to me anyhow. I am drinking fine, and have been licking ice cubes. I even refused a piece of chicken!
[notify]

King Jackal- Jackson

Appreciate me- for the gift- that I am!

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:36pm PST 
That really worries me. I've never had a puppy stop eating due to teething, much less reject the tastiest of treats.

A foster Chihuahua from a cruelty seizure last year stopped eating completely. He was still drinking a bit, but wouldn't eat anything. To be safe, we took him right to the vet and, to our surprise, he tested a strong positive for parvo virus. Besides not eating, his only other symptom was being a bit subdued, although not lethargic.

Edited by author Tue Apr 22, '08 1:41pm PST

[notify]

Stewie's Sweetie

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:43pm PST 
Mom called the vet and he still thinks it's just the teething. Parvo is a hugh reason for concern, how likely is she to have gotten it 2 1/2 weeks after her final vaccination?
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:51pm PST 
My understanding is that once they've had all 3 rounds, it's unlikely that they'll contract the virus. I've known of puppies contracting it after 1 and 2 rounds, but don't personally know of any that have after round 3.
[notify]

Stewie's Sweetie

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:56pm PST 
If she doesn't perk up by tomorrow morning I will bring her in for blood tests.frown
[notify]

Stewie's Sweetie

Barked: Wed Apr 23, '08 9:14am PST 
It must have been just a tummy ache, cause today I am eating and playing and all the normal stuffcheer
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Barked: Wed Apr 23, '08 6:34pm PST 
That's good to hear!! wishes

We use baby gas-x for puppy tummy aches.
[notify]