GO!

Frontline Plus or K9 Advantix?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 7:49am PST 
I'm about to order some flea/tick preventative for the furkids from Dr.'s Foster & Smith online. I'm trying to decide between Frontline Plus and K9 Advantix. I read through some of the other threads and saw a few pups say they wouldn't use anything with permethrin. I'm wondering why...I read something about it being toxic for cats, but I don't have cats.

They both are essentially the same...except K9 Advantix claims to also repel and kill mosquitos. I'm not in a mosquito heavy area...and I'd really like to avoid putting the furkids on heartworm preventative (please don't lecture me on that though, my question is regarding the flea/tick stuff).

Anypup use K9 Advantix? Or anypup find they like Frontline better? Thanks for all input!
[notify]
Mrs. Trudy

No Snoop Left- Behind

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 8:33am PST 
Hi there...I have been using advantix for the last couple of years with good results. We don't really has mosquitos here either. Mom used advantix for our other pup who had really bad flea allergies and it seemed to help. No problems.

We are getting ready to switch to frontline plus to try it out because my sister scooter gets the itchies with the advantix. Since they both have two different main ingredients, mom is hoping the frontline plus works with my sis.
[notify]
Chico

Blue Cheese...

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 9:10am PST 
I have heard that Advantix has had some reactions on dogs. Has anydog had reactions with Frontline Plus?

I have used Advantix on Bigg before and it worked wonderfully. Now I am worried as to what to use on Chico with his allergies. Ticks have already started over at my mother's place but I'm lucky not to have any yet. And really last year I don't remember there being many ticks. We do have mosquitoes pretty bad though.
[notify]

Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 9:28am PST 
we use two different vets. one sells frontline plus and the other sells advantix. the one that sells frontline plus inflates the price on everything. the one that sells advantix, it's actually a couple bucks cheaper through him than dr's foster & smith or jeffers pet supply. he got on the phone with me and really recommended the advantix; he also has promeris and says of the clients he's had use that, they've been impressed as well. i think we're going to go with the advantix though.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 9:36am PST 
We juse Frontline Plus. It actually has a pleasant smell too - unlike others.
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:34pm PST 
We use frontline plus. We DO have a mosquito problem here so I give Nallah heartgard as well.

I've heard pros and cons of both treatments. Just be aware of the problems that can STILL occur while on a tick/flea preventative. Nallah was diagnosed last fall with Lymes/Anaplasmosis even though we were RELIGIOUS about putting her frontline on, and she had the vaccine. Its just something you have to be aware of.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Promeris. I don't think its been on the market long enough to get all the 'bugs' worked out of it. Many pups were vomitting/reacting to it shortly after application.
[notify]
Jillian

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:36pm PST 
I had a horrible reaction to K9 Advantix and now my mom won't put any chemicals on us unless my little brother brings fleas in. In that case, she uses Advantage. I threw up a lot after the K9 Advantix - I was really sick, then I developed a tremor from it that I still have today and my mom used in on me 3 years ago.
[notify]
Diesel

I'm innocent, I- swear!

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 5:51pm PST 
We use Frontline Plus on Diesel and we've had no problems at all wit it. Our vet sells K9 Advantix too, but she suggested Frontline for Diesel so that is what we go with.
[notify]
Nefertiti

Queen of the- Squeakies!

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 8:19pm PST 
I use K9 Advantix, just because it's what is sold at my vet, and since I work right next door, I get a discount. It works great for me.
[notify]