GO!

Northeast US -flea season starts when?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Henry

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '08 6:16pm PST 
Henry is new to our family, so we've never been through a spring/summer together. When should i start taking flea precautions?
He's started spending more time in the yard. now that it's been in the 60's (with a few days in the 70s)

He's taking interceptor, but I believe he still will need some flea protection...
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '08 7:38pm PST 
Hi.. Here in southeastern Ontario we start flea and heartworm prevention in May, though we see more flea infestations in August due to humidity..they like the dampness....I would assume we are probably in the same seasonal temperatures. We do the flea/heartworm combo until November as heartworm can be transmitted any time the temperature goes about 13 deg. celsius (sorry not good at farenheit....darn Canadian metric!! BOL)
Katie

I am the- Dreamsicle-you- may kiss my nose

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 8:19am PST 
Hi Henrywave
First I am so jealous mom said you are the cutest dog (not music to my ears-but ya are cute)
Second we are in Northwestern VA so not far from you in PA. My vet has me on flea drops year round now. UGH. They said that the weather the last few years has been such that the little buggers don't die off on a set schedule anymore-so you risk picking up one or two and taking them in the house where they can be happy year round. They also seem to like Pine trees (the mulch dirt under them) and since we have a lot of those out back it is just easier to drop me than to deal with fleas or ticks. My "uncle" dog - yellow lab at the grandparents house - had lyme disease 2 years ago from a tick found in Nov. Mom said after seeing that $1500 vet bill for him, the drops seem like a good investment. And mom did find a flea on me (it was dead) in January this year. January?!? We don't do the heartworm stuff till end of March and stop in Oct since those things still die off in cold weather. blue dog
[notify]

Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 3:57pm PST 
Hi Henry wave

We are in NH and we keep Chipper on preventatives year round. We thought about stopping for a couple of months and then we went to go visit BFs brother and his Chi had fleas in December! shock I was petrified of bringing them home to Chipper. Thank dog he was on Frontline still.

Anyways...we start to see ticks around here as soon as the trees start to bud. We have pulled them off of Chipper as early as Mid April.
[notify]
Ann -- CGC

Where's my ball?

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 6:43pm PST 
Hey! We're in NH as well. I pulled a tick off of Ann last week, so they are out here.
[notify]
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 6:59pm PST 
shock Ann, we're practically neighbors!!! way to go

You found ticks already? Yikes!
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 9:01pm PST 
On preventive year round here in SE NY.dog Got the Lyme vaccine and has been tested reg for flea/Tick born disease. She was an indoor dog except for walks and some play,she now has a yard so much more access to being "bugged". Mosquitoes very nasty in summer.The ticks are out here as well. Dh had one on him from work yesterday. confused
[notify]
Rusty- Springer-I- got adopted- t

I was ADOPTED- tonight, mommys- crying....

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 9:08pm PST 
We use heartworm preventative and flea/tick stuff year round. Always have, and never had a flea infestation ever. I considered stopping it, when i was in NV with my mother in law when myhsuband was in iraq, b/c she claimed they dont have fleas out there, uh, right. Saw 2 fleas....and we were back on frontline asap. lol. the weather just fluctuates so much, we dont want to risk it. and heartworms are no fun to mess with either, we'd rather be overprotected than under.....
[notify]
Treble

The Analytical- One

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '08 8:25pm PST 
Start your flea preventative now... do not wait until you see a flea or when you see your dog scratching. By then it is too late to fend off an infestation. By the time you see a flea, the flea population has been building for about 3-8 weeks (that is 50 eggs/day x 21-56 days x # of adult fleas)... The math is frightening. Be sure to use a product that has an insect growth regulator that sterilizes the eggs and kills the larvae as well as the adult fleas - that is the only way to prevent an infestation.
[notify]