GO!

Dog wont walk up stairs and back legs shaking!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Chaucer- Capone

This is MY- world, dont- forget it!

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 11:43am PST 
Saucey just went to the vet and he gained a POUND! (Alot for a pom) Dr said more exercise, 2 observations since doing so:

1 When we are finished walking he gets tired easy and his back legs tend to shake for a while very strange! And two:

I have noticed lately that when I go upstairs he WILL NOT follow, I could have steak in my hands, now THIS is VERY strange as he loves food!

Any ideas? I have a call into his vet!

Thanks!

Sauceys mommy
[notify]
~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Busy sprinkling- angel dust all- day

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 11:51am PST 
Hmmm thinkingthinking What comes to mind is a little arthritis. Angel would hardly go up the stairs, I really had to push her to go up. Also that extra weight can add to the issue. Is he taking any kind of glucosamine supplement? That would help and also once he loses the extra weight, that will make a difference.
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 12:29pm PST 
He's a little little guy and one pound is truly a lot of extra weight, probably equivalent to a person carrying an extra 30 lbs! It would be like asking a person who is grossly overweight to leap over 15 pommel horses (remember them from gym class??) to get to that steak!
He also probably takes 20 steps for every two or three of yours so keep in mind that exercise will help his weight but do not overdo it and be sure to stop and rest often. Just like in people any sudden changes in exercise can cause muscle exhaustion (shaky legs!) and the impact can be very hard on his little joints. Start slowly and build up his exercise and monitor his behaviour often while exercising..if he is a treat hound and being that much overweight I would assume he is then you can reduce his meals by about a third and use the other third of his kibble as treats during the day that way he feels he is being treated, you don't feel as guilty and he hasn't increased his caloric intake.
Good luck.blue dog