GO!

Sleeping pills

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kiwi

The Cow Dog

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 6:53am PST 
Hey dogsters, I have a question. Last night my husband dropped a sleeping pill on the floor. We looked all around for it but couldn't find it and this worried me because I didn't want Kiwi to find it and eat it. Then he informs me that she's taken one before!!!! He said he gave her one like last year. This made me so angry. Obviously I didn't notice any effects but still It bothers me to think of what could have happened. Are sleeping pills harmful to dogs in anyway? We take the Walmart/Walgreens brand like 25 mg. I'm just so upset to think he did that without even questioning it, it's not like him. shrugconfused
[notify]
Telly Lam

Never met a- lampost I- couldn't pee on

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 7:43am PST 
Kiwi, what's in the sleeping pills? There are many kinds out there. Is it over the counter? Usually those contain dimenhydrinate or Dramamine. There are obviously potential side effects with any drugs, but 25 mg is within the recommended dose in dogs to control motion sickness, if you were to use it.

Other sleep aids available over the counter would include diphenhydramine or Benadryl. Again, 25 mg is within normal dose for a dog your size, so other than drowsiness I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it is "holisitic," it usually contains an herb called valerian root. this is relatively safe.

But if these are prescription sleeping pills, such as those containing benzodiazepines (like valium or atavan) or zopeclone, I'd worry more, as they can carry more severe potential reactions.
[notify]
Daphne

Happy New Year!

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '08 1:17pm PST 
As the dog before me said-it depends what the sleeping pill is. A lot of the over the counter sleeping pills contain diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and acetaminophen (Tylenol). The Benadryl is ok for dogs. But the acetaminophen(Tylenol) is toxic to dogs. Also ibuprofen (Advil)is toxic as well. You are right to be upset though. Human medicine should never be given to dogs without consulting with the vet first. It might seem harmless-but their bodies work a lot different than ours do.
My husband (who is usually so careful) decided to give the dogs the milk out of his cereal bowl. I couldn't figure out why they were having the worse gas and diarrhea for 3 days. It seemed harmless to him-but our dogs -much like other dogs-do not digest milk very well!
[notify]