GO!

Dogs eating bird poop?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Duchess

i shoulda been- born a cat

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '08 10:32am PST 
We have quite an animal family, or a small zoo as I lovingly call it, which includes a small parrot. sometimes Flash, the parrot, poops on the floor or other undesirable places. the poops aren't very big, but every time I walk away to get a towel to clean it up, I'll get back and they're gone. then I started noticing that it was my dogs who were eating the poop when I turned my back. The only reason that I can think of for why they would want to eat it is because the bird's food is extremely scented with this fruity smell and flavor. Maybe that makes the poops smell fruity? it sure makes em turn pretty colors, but I've never smelled it. butI wanted to know, does anyone know if this will harm the dogs in any way? Like I said, they don't get very much of it, but I still don't want them to get sick. Any help would be wonderful.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '08 10:12pm PST 
I think when I had a cockatiel that my dogs would eat the poop that she dropped out of her cage. It never did anything bad to my dogs.
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '08 10:59pm PST 
I love chicken poop!

As long as it isn't a meat fed bird you should be ok.
[notify]

Daphne

Happy New Year!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 12:52pm PST 
For some reason dogs are drawn to other animals poop. Birds, geese, ducks, cat poop, etc. And in some cases it can make them sick-especially eating poop from wild animals or animals that may be sick. Your pet bird I am sure is healthy so the chances of your pup getting sick are likely very slim.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 7:05pm PST 
I looooove bird poop. I've only had duck and goose poop though. Eating those are a great way to get Giardia, which I've been fortunate to avoid. I don't know if there's anything your cockatiel could possibly pass on to you via poop so you may want to consult a vet for specifics.
[notify]
Leon and- Louie

Never met a toe- I didnt want to- nibble

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '08 8:40am PST 
Leon loves rabbit poop. We have a lot of wild rabbits on our property. It's like crack to him.

Everytime he goes out, that's the first place he heads to. It's disgusting!
[notify]
Luna

did u know luna- means moon in- Spanish?

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '08 4:51pm PST 
I don't eat bird poop or deer poop! I also don't roll around in it and get the scent all over mesnoopy
[notify]
Rosita

i'm a lady but i- like it RUFF!

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '08 6:55pm PST 
snoopycheerYUM YUM Bird poop, horse poop and cow poop!
Bring on the poo!
That's why mom won't let me lick her face....can't undestand thatwave
[notify]
Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '08 7:54am PST 
Goose poop is awesome! We used to live in an apartment and there were geese living in the ponds there, and there was sooo much poop to eat! Mommy tried to make me stop but I'm sneaky so every time I knew she wasn't looking I'd sneak a bit!

Now we live in a house with stray kitties that poop in our yard and I think I'm in heaven! It's soooo yummy. Mommy keeps talking about worms and diseases but I bet if she just tasted it she'd understand!

Mommy won't let me kiss her either after I've been snacking on the kitty poop! Now that I can't understand!
[notify]
Angus

Where's Maggie?

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '08 12:59pm PST 
As long as you’ve had Flash for a while & you know he’s ok—her Duchessness will be fine. We use to raise birds & our dogs always loved grazing around the bird cages. And with parrot poop, she can brag to all her friends about the “exotic” poop she gets to eat.
[notify]