GO!

what to do if your dog throws up.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cinnamon

I am to cute.

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 6:11pm PST 
any advice? Mom of cinnamon here again my dog has been eating a lot of grass of late I'd guess its cause her tummy is bothering her well this morning she threw up all over the carpet I think it might have been some of the food I gave her. My vet said I should pull up her food and water for the evening then offer it to her in the morn what should I do?
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 6:40pm PST 
Sometimes my pups will eat a little grass when they are feeling somewhat yucky. They usually will only throw up once and be done and back to normal, like nothing ever happened.
Is she throwing up often or just the one time?

I would do as the vet suggested and see if she can keep her food down in the morning. What kind of food is she eating? Is it something new for her?
[notify]
Cotton, TDI,- CGC, TFP-I,- FMX

You can't resist- me.

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 6:52pm PST 
Listen to the vet. Missing 1 meal isn't going to hurt her and if her tummy is bothering her, it may just give her a bit of time for her tummy to calm down.
BTW, my girls just like to eat spring grass. They look like little cows when I let them out in the morning. Eating grass doesn't always mean that they have an upset tummy, sometimes it's just yummy.
Hope your pup feels better in the morning.
[notify]

Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 6:56pm PST 
Listen to your Vet. It is kind of normal to withhold food for 12 hours after they throw up.

Also, if they gulp a lot of water after throwing up, they tend to throw that up too.

You could give her some ice cubes or crushed ice, if she seems to be thirsty, that will keep her hydrated without the gulping.
[notify]
Cinnamon

I am to cute.

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 8:31pm PST 
she eats Merrick for dog food but has never had problems with it i did give her some of my food the other day and it looks like thats what she threw up. She hasn't thrown up since but shes just resting sort of looks sad so now I am worried about her again which I am not supposed to be doing. Do you think it could be people food that gets to her? I know my vet has told me before not to give her any of our food at all.
[notify]
Kobe

I'm the- Kobenator. I'll- be back!

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 8:33pm PST 
Our vet told our mom to feed us baby food for 24 hours when we have a tummy ache. Read your label though, do not buy Gerber because they add onion powder recently and that's not good for dogs. Mix the baby food with hot water to thin it out and mix about 1/2 Tablespoon of Pepto Bismol to it then feed it to your dog. Sometime the dog will refuse to eat the baby food though because of the stomach ache. See if you can find a syringe and give the dog the Pepto Bismol by the syringe instead. Mommy gives that to us when ever we have an upset stomach and we'd be back to our furry self in no time.

cloud 9cloud 9
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 8:42pm PST 
Yes, human food can do that to a pup's belly when they are not used to having it. Especially if it is high in fat content.
[notify]
Cinnamon

I am to cute.

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '08 8:38am PST 
she hasn't gotten sick yet but she sure watches me when I eat but I am trying not to give her any as they told me to slowly give her food back and water.smile
[notify]
~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Busy sprinkling- angel dust all- day

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '08 8:46am PST 
I used to give Angel a few crackers when she got sick....you can always get the kind without salt if you are worried about that. way to go
[notify]
Allie

That pup!

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '08 8:56am PST 
I have an upset tummy today too. I spit up a little last night, and once this morning. My Catherine was worried, so she called my doctor, and he said to give me pepto bismol, and keep me drinking water. I have had a little water, and I ate a good breakfast, and have kept it down so far. Catherine likes the ice chips idea, and may try that since I haven't had as much to drink as she would like. Thank you for the ideas. I hope you feel better soon Cinnamon!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2