GO!

Help! Dog won't take Pills

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dexy- Midnight- Goose

I only wanna- make you happy

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 7:10am PST 
Hello all! I’ve been having a heck of a time with my boy Dexy. He has to take medication daily and he’s been spitting out his pills. And if he tastes a pill then he won’t eat his food because he thinks there may be more in there. He needs this medication to help with his collapsing trachea syndrome. I also want to say that I’ve had Sydney who has to take thyroid pills daily and I’ve never had an issue like this with him. Dexy takes his food and rips it apart and inspects it most times. When he is eating his food, he’ll take a couple of pieces of food and move it to my carpet and then spit it out and take only the tiniest bite and then spit it out. The problem is Dexy isn’t a “food hound”. So far I’ve tried the following:

Roast beef lunchmeat (pill rolled up in it, pill rolled up in peanut butter in the lunchmeat, pill ground up in peanut butter/cheese/creamcheese in the lunchmeat)
Ham (all the ways described above)
Turkey (all the ways described above)
Bacon
Marshmallows
Mayonnaise
Yogurt
Pumpkin
Merricks (all brand wet food)
Pill Pockets
Frying an egg and “hiding the ground pill in it”
Ground Beef
Cheese (melted with ground pill, solid with ground and solid pill)

Does anyone have any suggestions that I just could possibly try? I feel like I’m at my wits end.
[notify]
Lucy

Goofy Redhead

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:00am PST 
You mention using peanut butter with lunchmeat, but I find that just plain peanut butter does the trick. I will put a blob of PB on my finger and smush the pill down in the middle of it. Then I just let Lucy lick it off. I will push my finger into her mouth just a bit at first, so that she gets the pill, but then her continuing to lick the PB is what makes her swallow it.
[notify]
Dexy- Midnight- Goose

I only wanna- make you happy

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:06am PST 
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that as well and he won't touch it. He's such a little stinker! I honestly don't know what else to do.
[notify]

~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:10am PST 
Can you smash up the pill? I know with some medicines you aren't supposed to do that...but it you can, and then mix with some peanut butter, that should help.
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:15am PST 
If worst comes to worst, you can always try one of those gadgets that they use to pill cats. It helps you position the pill in the back of the throat, and then he can swallow it without tasting it.
[notify]
Rose

Pug Fu Master!!

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:31am PST 
Rose was the same way about taking pills and then we found Pill Pockets? The ones we use are beef or chicken flavored and they have an openining in the middle you just stuff the pill into and then mash it closed and give it like a treat. They also come in different sizes in case the pills are larger sized pills. We get them at our Vet's office, Pet Smart or Pet Co.

Oops sorry, I missed that you had already tried those too...

Edited by author Mon Mar 24, '08 8:33am PST

[notify]
Baxter

I love my- friends!

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:31am PST 
You might check with your vet to make sure that he or she is OK with Dexy having the extra sugar, but I give Baxter his monthly heartworm pill in a bit of Nutri-Cal.

I think it works because he thinks it's a treat, and he doesn't have to chew or deal with much stickyness, so everything just kind of slides down his throat.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:46am PST 
Lily is right in there with Dexy. There is no disguising any med, so I just have to do what I have to do, which is have her sit, then
1)Coat the pill with peanut butter, not too much
2)Slide it into the space between her teeth on the side near the back
3)Tip her head back slightly
4)Hold her mouth closed until I'm sure the pill is down and
5)Give her a hug and tell her she's a good girl! Good luck!
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 8:56am PST 
I try all those things with my client dogs...sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
If all else fails and your dog is not aggressive....I just open the mouth put my hand in as far back as possible put the pill at the back of the throat and close the mouth until they swallow...quick and usually easy...they need their meds so I don't have the time to play around...This is also how I pill cats..but vet experience has helped in that way....
As soon as pill is down dog gets lots of affection, a treat or a toy to play with..whatever the dog values the most.

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 9:19am PST 
I usually just put the pill at the very back of the dogs tongue, then close her mouth, hold it closed, and gently stroke her throat. But I am not sure if your dog's medical condition would make this a risky move.

Best wishes.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3