GO!

Bordetella vaccine in the nose?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Blue

The amazing- cow-dog!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 9:36am PST 
Maybe I'm just new at this dog thing, but is it normal for the Bordetella vaccine to be squirted up the dogs nose? I took Blue to Banfield yesterday to get what I thought would be a shot and they just took the needle off the syringe and squirted the stuff up his nose.. I thought this was odd. He sneezed it all over my face afterward, lol. Is that how your dog gets his Bordetella, or should I be worried?
[notify]
Scout

Give me a kiss!!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 10:17am PST 
Nope! They do give the Bordatella vaccine through the nose now! It does sound weird, but that is what they do! I have never gotten a Bordatella shot, just the nose squirt! Don't Worry!
[notify]
Tinkerbell

I'm just a- Tinker Stinker!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 10:23am PST 
My vet gives it as a shot. I only need it when Tinker needs dental surgery.
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 10:34am PST 
No worries! All of our dogs get it up the nose too, once a year is all it takes to stay current. way to go
[notify]
ღAva

It wasn't me who- stole your- socks!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 10:36am PST 
Ava got her Bordetella up the nose as well!! she didn't like it much big grin
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 10:37am PST 
Sorry double post red face

Edited by author Thu Mar 6, '08 10:39am PST

[notify]
Bailey

Proudly- defending the- homefront

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 10:51am PST 
Yep, Bordetella is an intranasal vaccine. way to go (So is strangles in horses.) The idea is to introduce it the way the disease would be introduced.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 10:55am PST 
Yes, Lily and Sasha got theirs through the nose. They didn't care much as they love the vet techs at their clinic. I find that neglected or mistreated rescues are more accepting of procedures as long as they are treated kindly than my princesses who were raised from pups.
[notify]
Blue

The amazing- cow-dog!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 6:24pm PST 
Thank you all for your responses, that definitely makes me feel better!
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '08 7:31pm PST 
Bordetella vaccines can be given intranasally or by injection. Some dogs do really hate it in their noses so we'll give the IM instead in some cases.
[notify]