GO!

Purple tongue?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 11:56am PST 
Last night, while Sammy & Mickey were busy chewing their rawhides, I got to play with Mom & Dad! Oh, what fun I had!

I got my butt "sniffed" (an inside joke, they don't really sniff my butt) and just had a ball, but when Mom made me quit, my tongue was no longer pinkish-red. It was PURPLE! Mommy was worried about my heart and lungs. But I wasn't even breathing hard, and my heart, while going a little fast because of the wrestling, wasn't anything to worry about.

There are no spots on my tongue, and I'm a cow dog with no chow in me. It went back to complete pink after about a minute, but Mom got scared!

I'm doing fine today.

Anyone have an idea what happened to my tongue?
Julius (RIP)

my monkey boy

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 12:31pm PST 
Hi Bernadette:

Julius is in congestive heart failure so I have been doing a lot of research, your post twigged with me because I had just copied this part of an article …
“Rapid, heavy breathing, blue tongue (cyanosis), excessive drooling, or collapse may be the first signs that anything is wrong”

You mention that he wasn’t breathing hard but if I were you I’d speak to your vet.

Good luck
Jules' mom
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 1:42pm PST 
Hope all is ok. hughughugBernadettehughughug
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 1:43pm PST 
Thanks, Julius!

I just got my heart checked a month ago, and it was perfect. thinking

I wonder if I was holding my breath when I was playing? shrug

I'll be sure to keep an eye on my tongue and if it happens again, I'll go to the vet immediately.

Thanks, Darla Mae!
I was having so much fun with Mom & Dad, I do wonder if I forgot to breathe?!big laugh

You know me! Silly Duck Girl!

Edited by author Fri Feb 29, '08 1:44pm PST

Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 1:53pm PST 
I would take her to see a vet. Your tongue turning purple is nothing to sneeze at. It certainly isn't normal.
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 2:05pm PST 
A purple tongue reflects a lack of oxygen in the blood stream. When you had your heart checked was it simply a stethoscope check? Not all conditions will show up that way. Any changes in exercise tolerance? Coughing? You should also check the capillary refill time on the gums by pressing and seeing how long it takes for the white spot to turn pink again, it should be instantaneous. I don't want to make you worried, but I really would be off for a vet appt. if I were you, even just to settle my mind about it.

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 2:37pm PST 
HI Cracker! Your name always makes me wanna have soup!big laugh

Anyway, I don't cough at all. Not even a little bit.

Mom pushed her finger in my mouth and pushed on my gums. She said it was perfect (she checks Sammy regularly, too).

And, yes, the heart check was with a stethoscope, as I had no reason to do otherwise.

I think I'll just have Mom write to Dr. K and see what he says. He is pawsome about responding quickly.
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 2:39pm PST 
Sounds good Bernadette. As long as you have lovely pink gums it looks good!
I used to joke I should get a couple more dogs and call em Cheese and Wine...but I'm named Cracker cuz I'm part hound and I was rescued from a crackhouse in a police raid! All very exciting....

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 2:44pm PST 
Now that is a great story for a name! I would have guessed you enjoyed eating Cracker Jacks!wink
Rommel

RIP 1996 - 2008 We Miss You- Old Man

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 2:54pm PST 
Keep us informed Bernie & stop scaring your Mom . !!
Rommel & Thor wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2