GO!

Need Advice, Dog safe way to get rid of tiny ants!!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:32am PST 
HI , we never had ants before (could it have come in a bag of food???), but it has been raining and snowing a lot (mostly wet and not that cold) lately, and I dont leave food out (Everything is in sealed containers, and they eat for about 15 min then the food gets picked up and put away. But all of a sudden I have all these little tiny tiny ants on and around their bowls.

WHAT can I do that is safe for them??
[notify]
Rocky

Monster

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:59am PST 
i bought an ant trap and closed off the area from the dog. i didn't want to use spray since i was afraid he would lick it up. In about 24 hrs you can remove the trap and the ants will be dead.
[notify]
Rocky

Monster

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:59am PST 
i bought an ant trap and closed off the area from the dog. i didn't want to use spray since i was afraid he would lick it up. In about 24 hrs you can remove the trap and the ants will be dead.
[notify]

Dutchess

They call- me....'Granny- Grump'!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 11:04am PST 
We used ant traps also - and put them where Dutch couldn't get to them.....up on the window ledge above the sink, behind the fridge, inside the cabinet under the sink. The ants will smell it...
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 11:11am PST 
I read somewhere that a little cornmeal in the areas that you see them does the trick. Actually tried this and it seemed to work. The way that it works is, the ants eat it then go to find water and it swells. Kind of like the mouse bait that works the same way...
[notify]
Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 11:25am PST 
We've used the ant traps, too. I can't remember which dog it was, but one of them actually chewed up one of the ant traps. The vet said it was nothing to worry about, since our dogs were so big & the trap was so small. We still hid them reallllllllly well from then on, though.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 3:33pm PST 
We've always used Terro Liquid Ant Killer or the Terro Ant Baits. Just have to be sure to hide it from the dogs. http://www.terro.com/
[notify]
Pup Pup

I'm getting a- sister!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 5:01pm PST 
Diatomatious earth works very well. It is safe for human and animal consumption. It's a powder, looks kind of like flour. It also works on fleas, ladybugs, roaches...all kinds of little buggies.
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 8:29pm PST 
Mom just got some books on green cleaning and stuff like that in the mail yesterday. Why she wants to do 500 things with vinegar or baking soda is bee-yond me.

Anyhowls, one of the green cleaning book suggests a couple of things fur ants. One is to "bait" them into moving away from your house so they won't come inside.

The one that might work fur you would be simple soap and water. Mix 16 oz of water with 3 tbsp liquid soap (like castille soap or natural soap) OR 1 tbsp liquid detergent (like dish soap) in a spray bottle. They suggest a peppermint or eucalyptus scent soap. Spray the ants that you see with the mixture. The soap dries them out and then you just wipe them up. Ants are gone, surface is clean! If you're having to spray in an area you walk on, you could try vinegar instead of soap water. It will take longer to kill the ants, but the floor won't bee as slippery. You'll need to follow up looking fur and spraying the ants for 3-4 days (if they decide to send in some more scouts to find our where the troops went).

They also say to clean up what they are trying to eat (like your food). If they're getting the big bag, find something airtight to store it in. If it's in your bowl, clean the area around really good and wash your bowl often. Don't leave the food down all day.

If you can find where they're coming in, you could put some vaseline jelly on the opening. That will temporarily keep them out until the wet weather stops. When the weather clears up, you can recaulk or whatever to block their entrance permanently.Two reasons ants will come inside....if it's really wet outside or if it's really dry outside. When it's wet, they want to bee dry. If it's dry, they want to find water.

To heyelp keep them away once you they suggest 2 tsp peppermint oil in 16 oz of water. Spray baseboards, window sills, doorways, around any pipes or places that stuff goes through walls. I guess they don't like the smell or it messes up their "smell trail" they follow.

I think the peppermint thing works with all kinds of bugs. Great Grandma used to keep flour and sugar in regular cabinet drawers in the farm house. There would be 5 lbs of flour in the drawer and she'd throw in a couple sticks of Doublemint Gum (in the wrapper) in with the flour. Never had a bug of any kind. I don't think people store stuff like that these days.

Smoke, Cleaning house the green way
[notify]
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 8:54pm PST 
Thanks everyone! So far I used Pam (the spray stuff), and I sprayed the ants I saw, and the area, and so far it worked. It killed them right away, and I was pretty surprised Cooking Spray would work lol.

We do pick up the food right after eating (15 min and thats it) and all food is kept in hard sealed airtight containers, not bags. So I guess it is the wet weather that is bringing them in. It is a kinda random plac they are coming in (it was a boiler room changed into a laundry room) but it in the kitchen (adjoining wall) and i dont see any ants in the laundry room...but it looks like they are coming from under the molding on the floor. lol.

Sigh, I dont want to use traps b/c my dogs are little and get into everything, and one even managed to knock down the baby gate and sneak in, so id rather use something that wont hurt them.

Thanks you guys!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2