GO!

Yeast infection question

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kiya

100% Spoiled- Rotten

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 11:23am PST 
OK, sorry if this is TMI (too much information) for some, but I need some advice and suggestions here.

First, Kiya is fixed. She was spayed at about 8 weeks old and didn't have any complications prior to us adopting her at around 16 weeks and hasn't had any complications since we have adopted her.

Also, I do not think this is an anal gland issue because she is not targeting her anus and we do have her anal glands expressed when needed, usually every month when she goes to the groomers. She seems to have hyper production in the anal gland category. Side Note: I have watched them express them, they do a great, thorough, and gentle job so I feel confident and comfortable with their work. The vet has recommended this groomer as well and feels confident in their experience with anal gland expression

Our issue at hand - At first I thought Kiya was just being very diligent in cleaning her external genital area - the external genital area that is responsible for the elimination of urine BTW, is there a proper name for this on a bitch? I am into using proper terminology instead of silly names

However upon closer observation I have noticed that it isn't the genital are that is responsible for the elimination of urine that she is licking but actually her vaginal opening behind her external genitalia.

Over the past few days she has really been, for lack of a better word, "attacking" this area. She will be playing and then all of a sudden go nuts, licking and almost "biting" her vaginal area.

I haven't noticed any foul or abnormal odors, but then again I haven't really stuck my nose down there to smell it. I also haven't noticed any abnormal vaginal discharge. Actually I haven't noticed ANY vaginal discharge, which I guess is another question, do bitches who have been fixed even have a 'normal' vaginal discharge?

Could this be a vaginal yeast infection?? Do bitches even get vaginal yeast infections? Growing up we always had male dogs, so owning a bitch is all new to me.

She seems very uncomfortable and irritated by it, which if it is a yeast infection I can totally sympathize with as I am many of the women here can as well.

As for diet, if it could be diet induced, the only changes is over the last 10 days I have slowly switched from Fromm's Salmon a la Veg to EVO Red Meat. She is not 100% on the EVO with no digestive or gastric issues at all. For training treats she either gets the EVO Grain - Free biscuits or the Wellness Grain-Free Pure Rewards Lamb and Chicken Jerky.

She does also get a probiotic tablet, which contains live cultures, once a day as well as 1/4 tsp of ProZyme added to every meal and a serving of Missing Link added to every meal.

I am leaning on the side of caution and plan on taking her to the Vet tomorrow morning as well since she also has an odd knot/lump the size of a pea on her ear I want checked out as well.

Any ideas, advice, and suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 11:34am PST 
I found a couple of websites that MAY be able to help. It mentions an irritated vaginal area as one of the symptoms. Mommy understands how you feel, and to her it seems like you are taking all the right precautions. A good meat based diet, and probiotics. The best way to deal with this is to go to a hollistic vet who won't push antibiotics on you right now. They are probably one of the worst things that you would be on because it only makes your condition worse.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/systemic_yeast_infections_ candida_albicans.htm

http://www.utopiasilver.com/testimonials/yea st-infection.htm

If I can be of further assistance please let me know! way to go
[notify]
Kiya

100% Spoiled- Rotten

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 12:05pm PST 
UGH! Don't even get my mommy going on antibiotics and yeast infections!!! shock

Right now she is dealing with my brother, who is 1.5 and still in diapers. He just got off a round of antibiotics for strep throat and a double ear infection and now she is dealing with a nasty case of yeast infection/diaper rash that, yes, can affect boys just as much as girls! It has been pure torture not only for my brother but also for mom. So if it is a problem for humans she can definitely see where it can and will cause the same issues for us canines. Too bad antibiotics can't be discriminatory and attack only the bad bacteria instead of also killing off all the good and necessary bacteria.

~~~ Kiya's mom here - Thanks, I will definitely consider a holistic vet. We actually have one down the road from us that is also a post-graduate educational institute in Holistic pet care that has all sorts of endorsements and accreditations so it just isn't some 'quack'. (we had an issue in the state a few years back with a holistic vet who really wasn't qualified and ended up killing some pets! EEK!) While I really do love my traditional vet, I would like to get second opinions on a few other things, not just this current issue at hand.
[notify]