GO!

Treating a cut

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ember

Throw it....

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 8:54pm PST 
Well, last night Ember cut her toe and I have been putting hydrogen perxiode on it. Well, I just read that you shouldnt use hydrogen perxiode on dogs...what can I use? Neosporine? Thanks!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 9:04pm PST 
Really, my vet told me to use HP. Oddthinking

Yeah, any triple antibiotic is fine. Sedona cut her pads once and I'd smear a big glob on and then put a baby sock on her foot so she didn't lick it all off. Worked wonders.

Hope you heal up soon cuz. wishes

Edited by author Fri Feb 22, '08 9:04pm PST

[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 9:15am PST 
Hydrogen peroxide is very irritating to tissue. The only thing it is good for is cleaning off blood from fur or clothing. I like to use diluted betadine solution but if you don't have that it is good to use just a lot of plain water to flush it out.
[notify]

The Wee- Beasties

The Wee 3 are- now the Wee 7!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 10:27am PST 
Keeping it clean is the biggest thing. You should try to wrap it or use a sock so it doesn't get dirty over and over and have to keep being cleaned out.
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 12:40pm PST 
Hydrogen peroxide has debatable uses. From what I understand, it is very irritating, and probably stings when applied. I know some people who swear by it, not only for their pets, but also for themselves.

Gunner gets scratches and cuts all the time, due to his hunting forays. I use hydrogen peroxide initially just to make sure everything is clean. After that, I stick just to neosporin and water to clean any wound. If it's on her foot, a sock would be great, especially when she goes outside. Make sure she doesn't lick the neosporin off, either. It's not great to be ingested.
[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 1:15pm PST 
I'm not sure about using hydrogen peroxide for anything more than cleaning up initial blood. I'm a big fan of Neosporin- just make sure that it's not applied in an area where the dog can lick it up. If the cut is on his foot I recommend putting a sock over the Neosporin-applied area or some other bandage.
[notify]
Ebony Mae

I'm a leo, adore- me...

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 2:44pm PST 
if you can get a hold of some colloidal silver that is always nice to have on hand for things like this.
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 2:53pm PST 
i think HP is good, as long as its not used continuously or singularily...

like use it at first to clean the wound, and then put on neosporin or Bag Balm!!! smile

i'm not to sure WHY they say HP is bad, but i do think using it and nothing else for a longer period of time is NOT good
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 3:42pm PST 
Here is a link to a wound care article on Veterinary Partner.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=343&S =0&EVetID=0
[notify]
Ember

Throw it....

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 9:27pm PST 
Thanks for all the responses. I have been keeping it very clean. I wrap it in guaze, then I put med tape, then a sock, then a plastic bagging of some sort (it's been raining and I don't want the water to get inside the wrap). Now my biggest problem is that it doesn't stay on for more than a couple hours. How do I make it stay (at least for 12 hrs...preferably)?
Thanks!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2