GO!

Bathing after spay?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kira

I'm just a- little brown- bear!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 7:09pm PST 
How long should you wait to give your dog a bath after spay surgery? We just got Kira this past weekend and she had been spayed on Thursday. I would love to give her a bath ASAP (if she will allow it...) just to freshen up her coat after being an outside farm dog and then shelter dog.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 7:16pm PST 
Two weeks is the norm.
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 7:43pm PST 
The things about the spay incision is not to let it get saturated. If you have one of those removable shower heads you can give her a "birdie" bath. So no standing water on the bottom of the tub, and don't go overboard on the shampoo & rinsing. Get the head, the shoulders, the legs, the paws, the chest, the butt, and maybe the back - just keep clear of the tummy. That was what i did when Maggie got into a cow pie in the yard 3 days after her spay.

What I did with Maggie when she had ear surgery (not quite the same, but I wasn't allowed to get her head wet at all & this worked really well)was I just towel bathed her (she was able to find stinky things during potty break outside to roll in - she just needed a refresher). I got her into the tub, saturated a towel, rubbed her down, then took some of the waterless dog bath spray (it is sold at pet stores & some sporting good stores), sprayed her down, and then rubbed her again with the damp towel. For the drying I just took a really warm towel and dried off all the wet parts.
[notify]

Kira

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 7:51pm PST 
Thanks. Her incision is healing nicely so I think I'll wait until Sunday or Monday and then do a spray wash in the tub if I can. We're waiting for our furminator to arrive too...
[notify]
Cali- Always Queen- of my Heart

Always the queen- :)

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 8:03pm PST 
Our vets say 10 days if everything looks good. Don't chance getting it wet before that...but you could put some dog cologne on her for now!
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 8:15pm PST 
That should be plenty of time by then. Good luck and hopefully the bath won't be too scary - you could try some basic desensitization right now...just get her used to being in the tub, then get her used to the water being on, then spray a little (not on her - on yourself...well at least that is how bath time always goes at my house), then spray a little on her...all the while forking over tasty treats...I used to put a smear of peanut butter on the end of the tub so that Maggie could lick it while I washed her down. Now she expects some sort of yummy and she even goes into the tub on her own (her page has a pic of her in the tub).
[notify]
Ronin

I'm getting a- sister!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:02pm PST 
There are pet wipes too, like baby wipes. They'll help with cleaning her coat. Don't get the stiches wet, they can dry and shrink, which will tighten them and could cause pain.
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:09pm PST 
our vet said 10 days... all our pups got baths on the 10th day lol
[notify]
Kira

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:14pm PST 
Thanks everyone! She shouldn't need to be bathed often at all. She's a very clean and not smelly dog, I just want to make sure her coat is freshened up a bit. Helix hasn't been bathed since he was 4 months old and you can't even tell!
[notify]