GO!

Seeking help - what is causing my dog to yelp for no obvious reason?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Wanda Star

Who's here??? - Where's your- toy?

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '08 10:08pm PST 
Dear Chi owners..

I am trying to find out why my little Chihuahua, Wanda, is yelping
for no obvious reason. She makes a tiny yelping sound like a squeaky toy.

For the past four days she has made these yelping sounds every so
often and we can't figure out what is causing it. Sometimes she is
just sitting on the couch by herself and she yelps. Sometimes she
yelps when she is walking. At night she has been panting like she was
in pain.

Other than that she is fine. She is eating normal. She is walking fine, nothing unusual, no limping. We have examined her body all over
and I can't seem to touch anything on her body that causes her to yelp.

I took her to the vet on Sunday and he wasn't able to discover the
cause. He thought it might be a pinched nerve or similar neck ache.
But, it is all speculation.

So, I'm at a loss. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any ideas what might be causing her pain?

thanks
Yvonne Marie
[notify]
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '08 11:06pm PST 
well, i know when i had a pinched nerve (me, the human) I sure yelped! It was just when I moved a slight bit in a certain direction, it was a quick fast pain that would make me yelp too! It was really painful, and it didnt hurt to touch me, just when i moved in a certain way or direction. So that could be it.

maybe if the vet could help you figure out where the nerve might be (like in the back?) you could try heating pads while you hold her, or see if he can give you something for the pain....

Does it look like she is looking at something like she is startled maybe? Or maybe feeling needy?

So the vet just couldnt figure it out and sent you home? I dunno, I would maybe look for a different vet that at least would try to give you some things to try or to look for, or something! I mean to leave with no help is so frustrating!

Good luck! Hope you feel better!

Edited by author Mon Feb 18, '08 11:07pm PST

[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 8:09pm PST 
Wanda, your breed is another one that occasionally develops Syringomyelia - syrinxes down the spinal column of cerebral spinal fluid (which should really remain in the brain. This sometimes collects in pockets, most often at the top of the spine (neck area) and causes nerve pain.

I would hope that it would be something else - pinched nerve injury or something that can heal, but as many vets are not very aware of SM, and others only think it is only in Cavaliers, please keep this in mind if you cannot find any other cause.

Syringomyelia Infosite

SM News other breeds

Breeds with SM - 50% of SM patients are NOT Cavaliers, although they are the highest single breed represented.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel,

King Charles Spaniel,
Griffon Bruxellois,
Yorkshire Terrier,
Maltese Terrier,
Chihuahua,
Miniature Dachshund,
Miniature Poodle
Toy Poodle,
Bichon Frise,
Pug,
Shih Tzu,