GO!

Eating horse manure - is it okay?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Londyn

Sweet as pie

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 8:22pm PST 
Hi all,

My sister lives on an acre with two Papillons and a Friesian horse. She has a private yard sectioned off for her doggies but she also likes to let them run around the pasture and eventually would like to have the dogs follow her around when she feeds the horse or does other yard work.

However, the dogs LOVE to eat horse poop. Do you think this is safe? She can get the dogs to avoid it on a verbal cue but if it's dangerous then she doesn't want to let the dogs out in the pasture.

Any thoughts?
[notify]
♱- Cheyenne- ♱

Life is Good!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 8:25pm PST 
I personally have been around many dogs and horses and all dogs I've ever known have eaten horse poop. I've never known of a dog having problems as long as the horses are dewormed and are healthy. It does make for some nasty breath, though.
[notify]
Treble

The Analytical- One

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 8:29pm PST 
I promise you that this is completely normal and completely safe (unless the horse has salmonella poisoning). Dogs and horses do not share the same species of intestinal parasites, but so long as everyone is getting dewormed regularly there shouldn't be any concerns. I would be far more concerned about two tiny horse ignorant dogs dwelling around such a large harness horse as a Fresian - that is where most of the danger for these little dogs lies. As an FYI, dogs like to eat lots of things around the barn, hoof trimmings, horse manure, excess grain under the horses' feeders, etc... I wouldn't be concerned in the least. The worst thing they will get from eating horse manure it is bad breath.

Edited by author Fri Feb 15, '08 8:36pm PST

[notify]

Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 10:32pm PST 
Horse poo is great. Maggie will carry them too me and then eat them...I always let her munch away.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 10:46pm PST 
It makes a good fur conditioner toowink
[notify]
Londyn

Sweet as pie

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '08 12:27am PST 
Oh, thank you all for responding. It's great to know that it's okay as it would be a shame not to let the kidos go buck wild in the pasture.

Oh, don't worry, the horse is a gentle giant raised with dogs and cats (by her original owner) and the dogs are trained, but we don't actually let the horse and dogs get near each other.
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '08 8:05am PST 
Eating horse manure - is it okay?
Yea !! If you are a dung Beetle or a fly or a parasite thinking
Thor
[notify]
Joey

50% Rugged Farm- Dog 50% Couch- Pooch

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '08 5:37pm PST 
Aww, I LOVE Fresians!

Yup- poop is fine in small amounts as long as the horse is wormed regularly and eats a wholesome diet.winkBOL
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '08 6:51pm PST 
Ya my paps and moms boxer are around horses to and they looooove horse poop. Something about it its like a delicacy to them or something lol. Never had any problems with them eating it though.
[notify]
Bentley

Eenie Weenie- Chili Beenie!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '08 8:12pm PST 
Mmmm, Poop!!! Mom won't let me eat poop, but I will if her is not looking, hee-hee-hee!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2