GO!

How soon to spay after giving birth?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Logan- ♥

You say spoiled- like it's a bad- thing.

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '05 4:20pm PST 
My sister's dog is on her 4th litter of puppies. She's an escape artist and nothing they do works to confine her when she's in heat.

We've taken to calling her "Ho-hound" because she gets pregnant so often. After the 3rd litter, they were going to get her spayed but she went into heat again almost right after the puppies were weaned. They thought they'd kept her safe this time, but soon discovered otherwise. She's about to give birth any day.

Do the puppies have to be weaned before she can be spayed? If not, how soon can it be done? We've got a call in to the vet, but were just wondering.

Thanks
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '05 7:18pm PST 
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can spay her until after the puppies are weaned, or close to weaned. B/c the anesthesia would go thru her system into the milk, which would be very bad for the puppies.

That is odd that she went into heat right after the puppies were born. Usually dogs only go into heat twice a year. It ensures that the mother is not overwhelmed with puppies upon puppies upon puppies.

I would suggest getting her spayed immediately after the pups are weaned, and only let the dog out on a leash. If they must, confine the dog in a room of the house so she doesn't slip outside unnoticed.
[notify]
Raven

I'm the Pretty- One!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '05 9:30pm PST 
Oh Mommy had a poddle once and she went into heat every 3 months.. never bred though thank goodness. Get her spay as soon as the puppies are 6 to 8 weeks.. They will be weaned by then and her milk should be almost all the way dried up. Now the vet may have you wait a little longer if she is still bleeding.. Check with a VET ASAP
[notify]

Raven

I'm the Pretty- One!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '05 9:31pm PST 
Oh Mommy had a poddle once and she went into heat every 3 months.. never bred though thank goodness. Get her spay as soon as the puppies are 6 to 8 weeks.. They will be weaned by then and her milk should be almost all the way dried up. Now the vet may have you wait a little longer if she is still bleeding.. Check with a VET ASAP
[notify]
Tasha

Pet me Please!

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '05 12:59pm PST 
If she has a C section spay her on the table.
there is the chance she might dry up or not, i did that with one of my girls and i ended up bottle feeding at two weeks and they were weaned early on, doesnt hurt them, they were on kibble sooner, and still interract with mom just as much, but i would rather get it done all at once, than cut her open again.
if she has them natural, than i would worry that she will cycle within the time of weaning, so i would spay her three weeks after having them, that way you will be sure to have it all said and done.
many c sections are done, and pups do just fine with nursing.
[notify]
♥Stitch♥

I love my mom.

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '05 7:27pm PST 
As soon as the puppies are weened.
[notify]