GO!

Very scared - liquid bloody stool and vomiting white foam

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 3:21pm PST 
Ok I am very scared right now. When I got home for the lunch break, I had found that Whisper had just had a half liquid stool. I was a little worried as he usually doesn't have diarrhea. But in the next 40 minutes he retched like 4 times white foam and had a liquid pinkish stool. Grabbed him and went to the vet. They ran a lot of tests, ruled out parvo, corona, any worms, heartworm, ehrlichia, you name it. His blood testing came back all nice except the platelet count which was very very low. His stool tested (besides the blood in the stool) with a whole bunch of bacteria. He did not get into anything, the only unusual thing he ate (unusual as in not eating it in the last 3 months or so) was a couple teaspoons of small peas (steamed) at dinner last evening. The vet said it is a enteritis or a colitis, gave him a whole cocktail of shots, antibiotic, cortizone, vitamine K, and more. And a 10 days of Flagyl starting tomorrow. But he also said to monitor Whisper and that the diarrhea/liquid stool should stop in a couple hours. And if it doesnt' stop or if he gets worse and/or lethargic or weak, to call him again.

Is there any food recall out there? I don't know what to think anymore, I am so scared. Please pray for my little Whisper.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 3:37pm PST 
Poor baby!

From your page:
Donuts, mashed potatoes, carrots, peanut butter, ice cream, strawberry yogurt and chicken. In this order.

It looks like you get a lot of human food. Could that be it? Human food, especially fatty food (as we underlined), is VERY bad for dogs, and can cause a host of problems.

Even if you have had them in the past, you might not be able to handle the fat now.

Best to follow the doctor's directions, and keep on a diet of dog food. If you want to do home cooking, ask your vet for a recipe. Sudden changes to a dog's diet can cause distress, too.

Poor baby!

hughughug

Edited by author Mon Feb 4, '08 3:39pm PST

Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 3:43pm PST 
BOL no, my page shows only what I like the most. It doesn't mean I'm getting it too.

Our diet actually consists of about 4/5 Canidae (Platinum for Maya and All life stages for me), and the rest raw carrots. Twice a week we get a tablespoon of plain yogurt, twice a week a table spoon of cottage cheese, twice a week half a grilled or boiled chicken breast, and on Sundays we get some cooked brown rice with baby carrots. From time to time we would get a tablespoon or two of other steamed vegetables (mom is a healthy eating freak). Those things I'm crazy about I don't get too often, to my infinite sadness. Of all that list of things I like we only get peanut butter daily in our stuffed kongs when Mom goes to work, but it's organic peanut butter with Omega 3, and our raw carrots that we chew on, about 2 pieces each. Those are the only "treats" we get since all the dog food and treats recalls.

The vet went over my diet too, actually he thinks we are among his most healthily fed patients.

So that is what scares my Mommy, she doesn't know what has happened.

Edited by author Mon Feb 4, '08 3:45pm PST

[notify]

The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 3:44pm PST 
you can check ot joys blog (here on dogster) and they list all of the most recent pet food recalls

we hope wisper is ok!!
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 3:44pm PST 
We were in your situation around Thanksgiving. Bo started with diarrhea, which progressed to vomiting, then to horrible smelling bloody stool and bloody vomiting. Bo was hospitalized with fluids and bloodwork was done. The vet thought he was poisoned. The only thing we could narrow it down to was when we were out jogging he picked up and swallowed a clump of grass from a yard that treats their lawn for dandilions. I didnt notice the tiny sign they stuck on the very edge of the yard until after he ate it.

They put Bo on pepcid, and two other belly pills along with a prescription bland diet for two weeks. We slowly worked back in his food after that.

It was scary for awhile there, they thought we might lose him. But he made a full recovery and is still the little demon I love.

We hope that everything works out for you! Keep us posted
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 3:48pm PST 
There was a lot of weed-killer stuff spraying activity in the neighborhood yesterday, actually. Not in our immediate neighboring yards though. Would any of that stuff if it was picked up by the wind be in an enough quantity to make me sick? But then what about Maya, she's fine, and they ate the same things.
[notify]
Spike

Aahhh....- poolside is the- best

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 4:06pm PST 
We are so sorry you are going through this. We had something similiar to it in October. All three of us!!! She thought we were all dying.

Tests showed nothing out of the ordinary but we all spent time in the hospital. Mom put us on rice and boiled chicken. Dusty and I went back on our normal food just fine but Chance had to be put on rx food.

He's finally (last week) back on his regular food and we're all happy. Mom had to start feeding a little yogurt to accomplish it though.

We have no idea what caused it. Mom thinks we caught something in one of the motels we stayed in during evacuation. Vet thinks that or something sprayed on the yard areas at the motels or family we visited.

hug hug and prayers for a speedy recovery

Spike and the bros Dusty and Chance
[notify]
Our Gang

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 5:42pm PST 
Be careful. Some strains of Parvo hit really quickly. Our rescue had a litter of ten pups that contracted parvo last year. 2 of the pups that died never did test positive for parvo, the 3rd that died finally tested positive hours before he died.
[notify]
Whisper

I am the donut- monster

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 6:05pm PST 
Update. After we came home from the vet, Whisper had one more loose bloody stool, and he had water. After that he slept all the time. He woke up only about 5 minutes ago, had more water, and seems to be much improved, no retching, no more poopies at all, he is sniffing for food (I feel sorry for him but he has to go with no food for 12 hours, that's what the vet said). He even played a little with one of his toys, and he doesn't hold his head and tail down anymore, actually he is wagging his tail. He is still asking ofr a lot of kisses and petting and wants me to hold my hand on his tummy. I called the vet and he said that probably he is still cramping, and that it looks that it is a bacterial enteritis after all and Whisper should be fine with the antibiotic treatment and a bland diet for a few days. I'm still monitoring him.

They ruled out the parvo from the test and the blood test also (normal white cells count) and also his stool and the white foam he was retching don't have a bad smell. I know the parvo smell, I had lost two dogs to it in the past, it's a smell nobody ever forgets.

I hope my little Whisper will be ok, vet said that if by morning we still are doing fine than we shouldn't worry anymore, we're on the right track.
[notify]
Our Gang

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 6:09pm PST 
I'm so glad to hear it! Ever since I read your post I have been worrying about you. I am so glad you are on your way towards feeling normal!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3