GO!

Small dogs and spaying problems...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Wittle Girl

I am the cutiest- girl

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 5:11pm PST 
My Daphne (pomeranian) will be 6 months on the 13th and I know after 6 months you can get your dog spayed. I was set on doing so but then my supervisor from work told me about how last week he had his small chi pup that was 2 years old spayed and then came home to find her curled up under his bed dead. The vet said it was complications with her size and the surgery? Now I am super nervous about spaying Daphne, I would never forgive myself if something happened to her. I have always had big dogs so I'm not sure what to do. Will she be ok?
[notify]
Tinkerbell

Opt to adopt!!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 5:22pm PST 
i dont htink thats normal, if it was there would be no spayed small dogs...

we just recently had tink spayed (nov 9th) ahe was 2 years old and about 10 lbs, no complications at all...

my cousin just had her 6 month old spayed yesterday and she is bout 11 lbs, no comlications with her either..

make sure you trust the vet 100% before you let them preform surgery onyour pup... that why we waited so long for tink, we couldnt find a vet we trusted...
[notify]
Wittle Girl

I am the cutiest- girl

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 5:30pm PST 
Aren't I suppossed to have it done before her first heat to prevent cancer? Thats what a vet had told me. Daphne probably doesn't even weigh 5 lbs yet.
[notify]

Bailey

Proudly- defending the- homefront

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 5:42pm PST 
The best time to have a spay done to reduce risks of mammary cancer is before the first heat (0.05%). The risk increases with each heat cycle (8% after first heat and 26% after second heat). Having her done later, say around a year, will make it easier for the vet to find her uterus and ovaries. But there really shouldn't be a problem with spaying a small dog at 6 mos. We spay cats at 5 lbs and they don't die.

For a dog to up and die after spaying is not normal at all.
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 5:44pm PST 
I was 4-5 months old when I was neutered. We talked with the vet and he said that was best fur me. I was about 5-6 pounds then.

I think it would depend on what you and your vet decide is best. He/she should know your health history. You should also have the pre-surgery bloodwork done that they offer. That helps them make sure you don't have any other health issues that might make surgery risky.

I know that a lot of small dogs they say should wait until 6 months old. It is a good idea to do the spay bee-fore your furst heat to help avoid any *woofps* breeding (not to mention having to deal with the heat itself). They say it also helps you to avoid other reproductive health issues later.

Bee sure to sit down with your vet and discuss your concerns bee-fore the surgery.

Smoke, sending Super-Bionic spay power
[notify]
Annie

Product of- Belarus

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 5:55pm PST 
My mom says her favorite dogs to spay are the small ones. Not only do you reduce the risk of cancer by spaying before the first heat, but the blood suppy to the uterus and ovaries is not as extensive, so the risk of unexpected bleeding is less.

Like others said, make sure you have a veterinarian you trust. Best of luck to you.
[notify]
Kizzy

I dare you to- ignore me!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 6:25pm PST 
OMG! You've scared me too, Daphne! My Kizzy is going to be 4lbs. or less and the other posters are 5lbs or more!!

Should I be afraid to get my dog fixed as well since she is so small??
[notify]
Angel, CGC

Throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 6:55pm PST 
We do Pom rescue and regularly spay them, even the small sizes. To date, we have ony had two dogs we could not spay. One was a min pin with a tumor that distoted her windpipe and the other is a pom with a heart condition.

The smallest we have done was a 2.5 lb (adult) pom and she was fine.

Just make sure you are using a good vet.
[notify]
Haleigh,- somewhere- out there

Tiny Red Apple- Head

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 7:48pm PST 
Ask your vet how much experience they have with spaying toy breeds and what precautions you should take (bloodwork, specific type of anesthesia, etc) to make the surgery as safe as possible. All surgery has some risk but for spays there is a minimal risk for complications.

After finding a veterinarian I felt comfortable with, I had Haleigh spayed. She was older than 1 year old but weighed less than 2lbs. Since then, I've been through many spays with little ones. All recovered nicely with no complications.
[notify]
twinkie

twinkle dinks

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 12:36am PST 
im scared of spaying twinkie... and this was the reason why.

shes a year and a half, been through her first heat, and weighs a little over 2.5 lbs. and the best companion ever.. i dont want to lose her through complications, nor do i want her to develop any problems in the future.. im still blank when it comes to spaying her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2