GO!

MY DOG TWITCHES IN HIS SLEEP WAY MORE THAN NORMAL...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
PATRON

I love to just- lay back

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 3:51pm PST 
My dog twicthes when he sleeps. I know they twitch when they dream, but since i got him ( 2 weeks ago) he has had this problem, some times more than others. It happens only when he sleeps. Its more like a convulsion, it last approx. 10-15 secs. he doesnt wake up, still remains asleep, he just had his distemper shots 2 days ago, he doesnt seizure ever. any suggestions?
[notify]
C. J., MS

Where's my- Aerobie?

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 6:53pm PST 
Given his age, and the short duration of the twitches, I really think there's nothing to worry about! It sounds like normal muscle tremors during sleep. Not to argue the topic about whether or not pups dream, when animals sleep, their muscles experience tremors (it happens in people too). It's really just ionic/energy transfer within the muscle tissue (biology/physiology stuff, don't want to get to technical).

I am almost 2 and I go through this during sleep episodes all the time! Nudging a pup in REM sleep doesn't always wake them, you really have to shake them to get them coherent! And I am a testament to that! I sleep like a LOG! I often make noises when experiencing these tremors; Mom says it sounds like I'm sporadically yelping.

I personally don't think it's anything to be concerned about. It all sound normal to me!!!way to go
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 7:03pm PST 
Turner is about 4 1/2, runs, twitches, barks and growls in his sleep. It's too funny!!! Makes you wonder what's going on in that head of his!!shrug
[notify]

Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 10:43pm PST 
10-15 secs is normal. Sometimes Sedona really gets going and she'll jerk around and bark in her sleep for a minute or two. It's scary when you wake up groggy and confused to a convulsing dog who's barking/whimpering. Your pup is fine! Just be sure to watch because it's very entertaining.
[notify]
Miyah

Um.. Guys....Can- we play?

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 7:54am PST 
I do that too..my whole body shakes and I kick my feet and squeal and cry..but momma thinks I'm dreaming. She has tried to wake me up but it takes a couple seconds!
[notify]
Moose

Too sexy for my- shirt.

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 4:09pm PST 
Just remember not to wake them up everytime when they are twitching. They need that deep REM and if they don't get it, it can cause sleeping problems and a grumpy dog.
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 9:49pm PST 
I thought the same thing last year when I got Maggie...but I think part of it was adjusting to a new home. She would twitch and shake while sleeping for close to 30 seconds, plus she also had a high respiratory rate. It has settled more the longer she has been in my home and as she has matured.

But I know from experience...another reason not to wake a twitching dog is because teeth are sharp. I had a good puncture wound in my lip because I woke Maggie up and startled her...I will never do that again!
[notify]
Lady

woofs and kisses

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 9:55pm PST 
Lady twitches in her sleep if she's really really tired and is in a deep sleep. She also sometimes yips, growls, snarls, snores, snuffs and makes weird "yodeling" noises occasionally too. I think it's pretty normal since she's healthy and doesn't have epilepsy or any other problems (she's goes regularily for vet check-ups).
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 7:09am PST 
From what you descibed... that is perfectly normal. Unless there are signs ( posturing, getting sick etc. ) it don't sound like a seizure. If you are really concerned, seek a vet and have him checked for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry to much. My dogs ( esp. Bullet) will do the tail wag, bark, howl, eat, snore,grumble,growl,whine and so many other things. Sometimes it depends on what they were doing before they fell asleep. Bullet will run in his sleep if we just came in from his trek through the woods for a few hours. When I say run... I mean the legs are moving as if he is running. I swear if his feet were on the floor he would take off and be down the hall or out the door before he woke up. big laugh
[notify]
PATRON

I love to just- lay back

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 10:54am PST 
THANKS TO ALL...IT MADE FEEL ALOT BETTER!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2