GO!

Scabs on his back?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Spencer

I'm a trickster!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 3:21pm PST 
For about the past month or so, I have noticed scrabs on Spencer’s back. Some of them are around the size of a tick (which is what I originally thought they were, until I investigated further.) They don’t seem to bother him, he doesn’t try to bite or scratch at them.

There are several, I would say between 10-15. I don’t think they are caused by anything biting him, because I would assume I would be bitten too. (Since he sleeps in my bed.) Yesterday, I found what kind of looked like a zit/blister on his back. Maybe these pop and turn into the scabs?

Anyone experience this before? Maybe try a different dog shampoo? (Altho I’ve been using that shampoo for a long time). I haven’t taken him to the vet (his annual check up is in June) but I’m scared I might be being neglectful if it is something serious? Thanks!
[notify]
Kizzy

I dare you to- ignore me!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 3:37pm PST 
Maybe some sort of skin irritation/parasite/allergy.shrug Either way, sounds like you may need to visit the vet before his annual in June.thinking

Good Luck!wishes
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 3:42pm PST 
It could be a condition commonly referred to as "Schnauzer Bumps" or Schnauzer comedo syndrome (blocked sebaceous glands). It is unfortunately prevalent for schnauzers. Sometimes changing the diet to a higher quality can help, or using a medicated shampoo with benzoyl peroxide in it. I would check with your vet on a course of treatment. Good luck!!
[notify]

Bowser (In- Loving- Memory)

Mommy's angel

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 3:53pm PST 
I was supposed to write that, not Roswell... Anyway, Spencer, if it is Schanuzer Bumps, it's something you want to treat soon, but I will also warn you that sometimes it can be incredibly difficult to completely cure. I had this condition. Most of the time it wasn't too bad, but there were a couple times where the bumps did become infected and required antibiotics. So, I would get them checked out sooner than waiting until June. If this is what it is, it's not necessarily life threatening, but infections are very annoying. Be on the lookout too for sebaceous cysts. These are a little bigger than the bumps you're seeing now and they feel softer. They can show up pretty quickly, and then rupture. The material is kind of bloody, and cottage cheese like. It's really gross.

Since it's something that can affect you for your entire life in varying degrees, if you get started on a high quality diet (sometimes it can be triggered by allergies to foods like corn or beef), and are bathed regularly with the medicated shampoo, you will be a lot more comfortable in the long run. wishes
[notify]
Harrison My- Angel- forever

It's All About- ME!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 3:54pm PST 
Could it be hotspots?shrug

I had about 20 scabs on my chest at one time and it was hotspots, my chest had to be shaved and I got medication for about 2 weeks
[notify]
Barley

Momma's Big Baby

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 4:04pm PST 
Could be an allergy. Barley had scabby bumps on his back which we finally deduced were a reaction to grains in his food.
Since switching to a home made diet the unpleasant bumps have disappeared.
[notify]
Spencer

I'm a trickster!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 3:31pm PST 
Wow, i googled "Schnauzer Bumps" and that is exactly what Spencer has. Thanks so much! applause
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 5:08pm PST 
Glad I could help Spencer big grin. They're more of an annoyance than anything, but still should be looked into eventually. wishes
[notify]