GO!

Panting and fast breathing in GSD puppy

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Grace Moriah

Im ONE year old- now!!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 1:11am PST 
I've noticed that Grace breathes fast often. Then tonight we crated her while we were home and she is next to me and she is panting so much and breathing hard. You think she had just ran a whole lot.

She is just a 5 month old pup we just found 2 weeks ago. She is recovering from Parvo ( just got over quarantine), and 2 parasites.

She is to young for heartworm isnt she?

uggggggg I just charged a 1,200. bill. I really cant afford another bill right now. I was going to start her on her shots.

Any advice?
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 4:38pm PST 
The best thing to do would be to call your vet and ask them what they think. They will probably ask you some more questions and then be able to determine whether you need to bring her in or not.

How do her gums look? Are they still pink or are they really pale and white?? Is she still eating/drinking normally? Having bowel movements? Is she lethargic?

My only thought is that maybe she gets herself worked up while you are away or while she is crated. Nallah gets like this sometimes when she is really excited but her energy level is still normal.

If you could answer those questions that might give me some more ideas, but in the meantime try and see if your vet has an emergency contact number you can call just to make sure. Best wishes, keep me posted.

hug
[notify]
Dakota

Dakota - Psycho Pup- Zoomie Queen

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 8:01am PST 
Dakota panted a LOT when she was young. And, we're talking to the point of swelled tongue, dripping saliva. However, I think it was a combination of 2 things:

1) stress, and most likely mine, not hers. I have a very stressful job, and unfortunately sometimes can't leave it at the office. She feeds off of my moods. When I'm stressed, she tries calming behaviors, but sometimes it ultimately stresses her out also.

2) she's just a very hot-natured pup. She can't stand warm temps and actually avoids the sun spots coming through the windows. She's like me, in that respect, so I completely understand her panting.

Health-wise she checks out a-ok...so those are just my observations and deductions after living with her for now 2 years smile

Of course, a trip to the vet in your case wouldn't hurt, just to be safe.
[notify]

Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '08 10:08am PST 
Hi Grace! Zeppelin breaths REALLY fast (like twice as fast as my 9 pound pom/chi mix) and has been like that since we got him at 9 weeks. He is 5 months now. We had asked the vet and she said it was simply because he is a pup. Smaller lungs. He only pants a little and very rarely, but always breaths fast when he sleeps...
Hope this helps! wishes
You are cute by the way!!
[notify]