GO!

Leptospirosis vaccine

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
NIKKO

*It's All About- Me*

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 9:13am PST 
My pup will be due for a Lepto vaccine soon. I have mixed emotions about this vaccination. I have talked to my vet, as I have also talked to other vets. They all have differing opinions... Some will not give it and others really think it should be done. Has anyone had any reactions to this vaccination. What are your thought for or against this vaccine. Thank you,

Nikko
[notify]
Missy

I'm Sassy but- Classy!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 10:15am PST 
I'm actually worrying about this one too.

Missy's had this vaccine as part of her second vaccination set (She just has 12 and 16 weeks boosters to do) and the vet near our home that I think will be her "family vet", says that they don't do that one, but that she should have two of those.

Then while researching the need for the vaccine, I hear that the Lepto doesn't last for very long, it's not all inclusive and apparently it has nasty side effects.

If she doesn't have it and runs into the virus, she can have kidney problems. That scares me because the first little shih-poo girl that was in our home died of kidney problems (We have no idea what caused those issues, but anything that says kidney problems worries me)

I want to be a good first time fur-mama, but I think this one thing is making me a paranoid first time fur-mama.
[notify]
*Nadiya*

Happy- Valentine's Day- to my Bad Boy- Oz!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 10:22am PST 
www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/d..._g_pet.htm

This link will help, my vet rarely gave it out but being he's had several cases the past year he is including them. I believe the CDC is advising them also.
[notify]

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 10:27am PST 
Are there several racoons in your area? Does your pet go to the dog park, camping with you, to the lake with you or goes for walks in a green area? If so, the vaccination isn't a bad idea.

In using the Lepto vaccine for over 2 years now, in all the dogs we have given it to (several hundred) I have only seen 1 reaction, and that was in a Newfoundland, which usually do react to that specific vaccine. Grace is a vaccine reactor (specifically to rabies) and I still give it to her (and Zeus) annually without a hitch or worry. However, we live on a lake, are surrounded by woods and have these nice little fuzzy creatures that raid our trashcans every night. Not only that, but the incidence of lepto is pretty high here. It's all about exposure, in my opinion.
[notify]
Missy

I'm Sassy but- Classy!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 10:36am PST 
Missy's still only 10 weeks so the furthest she's gone is in the car or being held in my arms or my mom's for a walk with my dad and the furry brothers.

BUT having said that, our house backs onto a forest and my father feeds practically the entire forest. The breeder didn't say anything about her having reactions with the first two sets, so until I had heard of the whole negative reactions, I was all for her having them again with the whole paranoid not wanting her to go like Zoey (our first shih-poo)

If she's due one more, i'll let her get it I guess, watch her and then go from there shrug

When my friend said being a fur-mama is a good test for being a real mama, she wasn't kidding big laugh
[notify]
NIKKO

*It's All About- Me*

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 11:20am PST 
I really appriciate everyones advise and opinions. Please keep sending them to me because I continue to want to know as much as possible.

Thank you!
[notify]
♥ Mia ♥

Mia-

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 11:21am PST 
Mia will be getting it when I get her secound set as we live right next to a Large ravine and Raccons visit our yard. I know a few niebours who have had it and the dogs are fine I will have to cross my fingers Mia will be ok.
[notify]
Howie

This is Howie- Do-it

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 11:43am PST 
I had planned on making sure my dog got it at his next appointment, because my mom sent me an article a few weeks ago saying that the number of cases of leptospirosis was on the rise in North Texas. (That is where she lives and we take our dogs to visit her several times a year.)

I was not aware of the reaction to the vaccine. Can some one fill me in on that?
[notify]
Missy

I'm Sassy but- Classy!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 11:53am PST 
Here's some of the links that had set me off about being uncertain about the vaccination.

http://www.aroundtownvet.com/files/14935829.pdf
htt p://www.caberfeidh.com/Lepto.htm
http://thor.prohosting.com/~maltes e/622.html
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1556&a rticleid=454
[notify]
Gita

You can't help- it, you're just- a people.

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 6:31am PST 
ugh. I'm conflicted on this vaccine, too. cry whattodo whattodo.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2