GO!

How often should dogs visit the vet?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sunday

Rock on with- your big ears!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 1:43pm PST 
Hi guys! The last time Sunday went to the vet was last April after she was spayed. Is she suppose to go yearly? For a check up? Vaccines? I'm about to call the vet, but I'm just curious how it normally goes. Thanks.

P.S I've had dogs all my life, but Sunday is my very own & I feel like a new mother sometimes!
[notify]
Lily CGC,- passed away- 11/24/11

Forever in our- hearts

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 1:48pm PST 
Both of my dogs are two, and Bruno goes annually while Lily goes twice a year for routine check-ups, including vaccinations. She has some health issues so I feel better with the two check-ups. (though Dog knows we go to the vet so many more times a year from someone being injured or sick... wink )

But I heard that a good rule of thumb if there are no health issues is once a year until they're six years old, then twice a year after that.

edited for clarity

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '08 1:53pm PST

[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 1:50pm PST 
Thank dog our vet sends reminder cards or mommy would forget. Heck, she forgets her own name sometimes! BOL!!
Seriously, though, we go once a year. More if there is a reason other than the routine stuff.
[notify]

Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 1:57pm PST 
For Chipper, once a month minimum! Ugh, my BF suggested that we just have our paychecks direct deposited to the vet. big laugh Darned collapsing trachea and heartworm!

But for normal, healthy dogs, I agree once a year until they enter their golden years and then twice a year.
[notify]
Bailey

Proudly- defending the- homefront

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 2:25pm PST 
Echo what everyone else said. Once a year for adult dogs, twice for seniors is a good rule of thumb.

Bailey is nine now, and after her vaccinations this month, she'll be vet free until the summer when she's going in for a blood panel.
[notify]
Scout

Give me a kiss!!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 2:40pm PST 
We go for our complete physical and yearly shots once a year! So like everyone else said, for a healthy, adult dog once a year and then twice a year for dogs 6+.

Plus something always comes up and one of us ends up at the reason for some reason or another... our mommy is a worry wart!laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 3:56pm PST 
We have 2 check ups a year......every 6 mo. We also go when every mommy gets paranoid that something might be wrong.
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 4:01pm PST 
Our vet suggests at least once a year, unless you have an illness that needs to be controlled, or if you are getting to be a senior dog.
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 4:18pm PST 
I'd say for a healthy, young dog, once-a-year checkups.

We happen to go twice a year, for vaccinations and a checkup in the fall, for heartworm and other bloodwork in the spring. (We have a couple short visits mixed in here and there for bordatella, too, but those don't really count, 'cause it's just for the vaccination).

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '08 4:18pm PST

[notify]
Sunday

Rock on with- your big ears!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 4:47pm PST 
Thanks so much everyone!!!smilesmilesmile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2