GO!

Valium for dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lacie

Big attitude for- such a little- pup

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 3:33pm PST 
Is this the same type of valium they give people? I have posted on here lately about my stressed out pup and the vet prescribed valium, I don't want to give it to her because I know how valium has made me feel in the past and don't want her to sleep too much. The pills look exactly like what I had.
I have Rescue Remedy too but it's impossible to spray it in her mouth. I don't want her afraid of me and have to force it.
Thanks
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 5:01pm PST 
Yup, Valium's the same chemical for people and dogs, but it might be a different dosage.

Is it the spray that bothers her? You could get the RR that comes with a dropper and put the RR in her water dish, especially given that it's something she could benefit from as more of a long-term thing. The trouble with this is that it's hard to monitor if she's drinking often enough to get the best benefit of the RR. You'll probably be best off using a thick glass water dish if you're going to put the RR in her regular drinking water, too.

Did you ever get closer to a theory on what might be going on with her? The RR might not actually be the right Bach's flower essence, depending. If you do find a way to get it into her and it's not doing much I'd move on to finding a different Bach's flower essence, or another vibrational remedy.
[notify]
Lacie

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 5:33pm PST 
She's doing much better but no, we don't have any idea what cause the anxiety. Poor thing. One thing we finally came up with (not sure if this is it) a few days prior to the anxiety attack we had some family over that have two dogs that they brought, we thought she could have been smelling around for them. She absolutely loves playing with them and doesn't see them often. I don't know.....just something we came up with.
Thanks for asking.
[notify]

The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 6:39pm PST 
if at all possible i would stay away fromt he percriptions, they creep me out, but the spray you have... can you add it to her water rather then spraying into her mouth?? that might be easier for her to handle..
[notify]
Lacie

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 12:22pm PST 
I wonder if it will still work sprayed in her water? I guess I could try that. Anyone know?? She hasn't even needed it today, makes me very happy. She has been laying low all day so far, she got to hang out with some other dogs yesterday so she may be content for now. dancing
[notify]
Oliver -- My Beloved -

Dogs make you a- better human

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 1:24pm PST 
Lacie, you are so cute. I agree that I don't like to give my dogs or myself drugs if I don't have to. I did want to relay this though. My dog, Oliver, (sweetest boy in the world!!) became terrified of storms a few years ago. It seemed to happen overnight--he was fine --then one day started freaking out. It was so sad because he would shake and stare at the sky and try to go in a room and close the door behind him. He would pace and turn in circles and pant and nothing could comfort him. My vet suggested trying valium to recondition him. I only had to give him a few. When the storm brewing was really bad, I would give him the rec. amount (it does not put them to sleep or make them dizzy if you don't give too much and it is the same as for humans--in fact, I have to go to Walgreens with a prescription for Oliver-Dog to get it!) Anway, it just calmed him enough that I could talk to him and show him the rain and act like everything was okay and normal. Not coddling--just acting like everything was okay. We actually opened the back door, sat in the floor together and watched the storm. Now, he has no need for it, it apparently reconditioned to deal wit h them . So.....I am so glad I helped him with that. I didn't know about RR then; but I just think whatever you can do to help recondition Lacie would be worthwhile. Best of luck. It is so hard when you don't really know what they are anxious about. Sorry, this is so long
[notify]