GO!

A pregnant Pom

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lulu

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 7:54pm PST 
Hi! Pls ..can someone help me How to take care a pregnant pom? It's my first time to have a pregnant pom and first time for my Lulu to be a mom..Honestly i dont have any ideas for a pom being pregnant...Your help is highly appreciated...Thanks in advance ...God bless

Bangbang
[notify]
Chompers, PhD

Where the- rabbits?!?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 8:01pm PST 
First of all, I have to say, if you are totally clueless as to how to take care of a gestating dog, why is she pregnant? I'm sorry, but it just sounds irresponsible to me. If she's a rescue that you took in pregnant, I can understand. If she is your dog and you allowed her to become pregnant, then I hope that you have her spayed ASAP after her pups are weaned.

She will need a lot of extra energy to take care of her growing pups. Make sure she is on a good diet, high in fat and protein (a premium puppy food will suffice). If she is not already, I'd also include a quality vitamin supplement.

How far along is she? Gestation in the dog is ~2 months. And whelping is another story. Not familiar with it? Please seek veterinary advice ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 11:03pm PST 
im with chompers, if shes not a rescue, you should not have a pregnant dog!!!! its very irresponsible to breed your dog if you have no idea how to care for her or her pups.... there are so many pups in shelters, you shouldnt be adding to the number of dogs in this world unless you have had your pup health tested before pregnancy, which you obviously havent since you have no idea what to do, puppys cost alot of money to raise, you have to pay for all thier shots and vet bills and all supplies to care for them, before they find thier new homes

if you use the forums search im sure you can find a few threads about how to care for puppies and a pregnant mom AND PLEASE SPAY HER AFTER THIS LITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[notify]

Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 11:55pm PST 
I agree with both PPs on this one. This is why so many people are getting behind the mandatory speuter laws.

Now I know that sometimes things happen. My friend for example rescued her dog Sierra and was told that she was spayed. The shelter even gave her a spayed certificate. Now they have a pregnant female because they were lied to. They've already been to the vet to find out what they need to do to assure her safety and are working with a rescue group in order to help safely home the puppies. On top of this, because of the care they are taking, they have been offered a free spay by the vet they are working with as soon as this is over and charges are being brought against the shelter for falsification.

You need to get your Pom to a vet right away to ensure her safety during this and to find out what you need to do for her. And also, set up a spay appointment with your vet for as soon as she can be brought in. If you aren't sure what to do, then please, for the sake of the animals, do not continue to breed.
[notify]
Moose

Too sexy for my- shirt.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 8:31am PST 
PP's, we don't know why she is pregnet so lets stop jumping on her untill we know the facts.

I'd get to a vet as he is the most important person to help you through this. I'd have him take an x-ray to see how many pups there are so you would know when she would be done giving birth. I'd also talk to your vet about how far along she is so you know when to expect pups and get her welping box ready. Other then that you are going to ask your vet for an emergancey # so you can have help if it is in the middle of the night. I hope everything goes well, and that you get her spayed after pups are weened!wavewishes
[notify]
Chompers, PhD

Where the- rabbits?!?

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 8:39am PST 
"It's my first time to have a pregnant pom and first time for my Lulu to be a mom"

Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my original response, but from reading the post, especially the line copied above, it looks like typical irresponsibility. Hence my suggestion to seek veterinary advice ASAP. It is solely my personal opinion regarding those who breed: have all of your questions answered BEFORE you decide to breed your dog.

confused

But, perhaps, since I don't live in the Philippines, there's not an issue at all! Maybe they do things a little different there and their problems with dogs aren't anything compared to what I'm used to here in the U.S., of which my opinions are based.

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '08 8:49am PST

[notify]
Moose

Too sexy for my- shirt.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 8:49am PST 
Its okay Chompers. I do that too! I just try to refrain myself before I know what happened, after that well lets just say that I can't contain myself!laugh out loud

ETA: try is the key word for me!big laugh

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '08 8:50am PST

[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:11am PST 
Whoa up everpup! Did you *poke* her page and see that this pup lives in the Phillipines? I don't know if they have the same kind of care information and vet care there as they do in the US. Spay/Neuter may not bee a big thing over there.

I have no help fur pregnant pups. There have been a lot of threads on here about howl to deal with that.

Smoke, *poke* furst blow up later
[notify]
Norbert

A mutt is the- stuff of dogness

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:33am PST 
Im so tired of their being no constructive advice on dogster from experienced dog owners when someone posts something like this. Yes she really probably should have a spayed or neutered dog btu we dont know all the circumstances. Plus the dog is already pregant. The best thing to do is to give constructive advice, such as how to car for the pups and pregnant mom and then spay later.
[notify]
Moose

Too sexy for my- shirt.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 9:49am PST 
I just did some reasearch for you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2070013_care-pregnant-dog.html

ht tp://www.dogforums.com/13-dog-health-questions/1374-my-dog-pregnant. html

A dog’s gestation period is about 63 days and it is important to keep your dog in good physical condition prior to and during her pregnancy as obesity can create blood-sugar irregularities, as well as delivery problems, which can put the puppies at risk.
Take her for regular walks, but avoid obedience training or any other type of activity that may cause her stress.
During the final three weeks of pregnancy, she needs to be placed in seclusion, this includes cutting off contact to other dogs in the household. At this stage in the pregnancy, the mother-to-be is at risk for canine herpes virus, which can cause a cold in non-pregnant adult dogs, however, it can cause a miscarriage to pregnant dogs.

Nutrition
Around week four or five, add premium puppy food to her diet, but not one formulated for large breed puppies.
Do not add supplements to her diet, especially calcium. “Supplementation can suppress her natural calcium-releasing hormones so that when she really needs extra calcium during nursing, she will not have the proper hormone balance to get it,” according to the Mar Vista Animal Medical Center.
At around the six-week mark, her appetite and weight will begin to increase. At this time, increase her food by about 25 per cent. Because the puppies are pressing on her internal organs, she will most likely not be able to eat the one or two large meals she did prior to becoming pregnant. Therefore, it will be necessary to feed her smaller meals more frequently throughout the day.
Prior to Delivery
A couple of weeks prior to her due date, create a birthing/whelping box that is located in a draft-free room that is also away from a lot of household traffic. Provide her a box that is lined with blankets, towels or old clothes, is easy to clean and that has sides to it.
Introduce her to the box about one week prior to delivery so she can get accustomed to it.

Delivery Day
You know your dog is going into labour when she becomes nervous, pants, shivers, loses her appetite, vomits and starts to nest. This phase usually lasts about 12 hours. Contractions also begin during this first phase.
As the contractions increase, she will expel a watery fluid and the first puppy will enter her pelvic canal, causing her to push more. About every 30 to 60 minutes a puppy will be born. Between each birth, the mother will rest and care for the newborns.
Each puppy will be born surrounded by a thin, white membrane the mother will normally break. The membrane surrounding the nostrils must be broken to avoid suffocation.
After each birth, a placenta will usually be expelled. The mother will likely eat the placenta – it contains required protein and nutrients – she will also chew the umbilical cords to separate her from her pups.

Post Delivery
Your vet must examine the puppies shortly after their birth. Puppies cannot regulate their body temperatures, therefore, their whelping box needs to be heated with pads and lamps that the puppies can move away from in order to avoid becoming overheated.
Puppies must stay with their mother until they are fully weaned– at about six to eight weeks of age.

Hope these help!!!!!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2