GO!

Frontline plus...toxic for our dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Luna

Food, food,- food!!!!!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 2:41pm PST 
Luna and I just got a 3 month supply of Frontline Plus. Our vet highly recommended it, but today 2 very friendly dog owners told me that Frontline was really hard on their dogs. One of them lost a lot of his hair and was sick for a while. They said is very bad for humans as well.

We live in Portland Oregon, and I don't think there are a lot of fleas around here. But Luna spends most of her time indoors and sometimes she jumps in our bed + we are active people and want to take her hiking and for other fun activities outside the city.

Do you have any good or bad experiences with Frontline?

Thank you!!
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 2:45pm PST 
we used it on Gabe for about the first 4 years we had him, with some minor skin irritation but lived in areas with fleas. Last summer he became very sick the day after using Frontline, it may have been another medication he was on, or he may have been exposed to a toxin while on our walk, but I plan to try to avoid its use this spring . If you need to use it, watch your pets closely afterwards, and be sure you use it as directed where they cannot lick any of it off.
[notify]
Pedro

The best New- York Rescue!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 3:03pm PST 
I have worked in a Vet clinic as well as own a grooming shop and train dogs for over 30 years.So I have seen my fair share of healthy and sick dogs. In 30 years(although it has not been out for that long) I have only seen 1 dog that has had a reaction from frontline.Most of the reactions are on cats.Owners think that cats can have dog stuff on and that will actually kill a cat.
The signs that dogs may have are local irritation or neurologic signs if accidently ingested. How I treat my kids are with Frontline every 2 & a 1/2 months. It's labeled for once a month on dogs that are from heavely affected areas or dogs that have fleas and need to get rid of them. I have lived in Texas where there is no freeze and fleas are terrible and I live in MIchigan now. My kids have NEVER had a flea on the schedule they are on now. I don't know much about Oregon but you could ask around your neighborhood. You may want to try this schedule before just stopping all of his prevention.It's harder to get rid of them,then it is to prevent. Most of the other alternatives are more toxic! I start to treat the boys in July and their last application is December. No need for year round unless there is a problem in your area.
[notify]

Chompers, PhD

Where the- rabbits?!?

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 4:19pm PST 
Every dog reacts differently to certain environmental and chemical influences. Perhaps Frontline just isn't right for some dogs! But I don't think that necessarily means it's bad for all dogs.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 4:23pm PST 
"Toxic" is kind of a relative term, which seems kinda weird, but that's the way our world is! It kind of depends on your definition of toxic whether Frontline might fall into that category. Is "toxic" a material that's simply not labeled GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the FDA? Can doctor/vet prescribed chemicals be defined as toxic, even if they're helpful in ways? Is a toxic material something that will cause harm, or may cause harm? Is something toxic if it shows a negative effect after short term exposure? Long term?

Frontline is NOT is totally innocuous and needs to be as carefully considered as other prescription medications. There are definitely risks associated with it's use. It is a chemical pesticide that you apply directly to your dog. It is supposed to be "safe" if used as indicated, but using it improperly can be dangerous. It can impact not only the dog it's applied to, but other members of the family -- human or not.

One big problem I have with the monthly chemical preventatives is that they have simply not been around for long enough in human/companion animal terms for people to be able to be making the guarantees they are about safety and effectiveness.

On the flip side, insect generations are a LOT shorter periods of time than human or dog ones, and seeing as all life changes and adapts to environmental changes with each generation I think it's kind of short sighted to assume that these monthly topicals will be effective as-is for too terribly long, nevermind what kind of resistance we've helped breed into pest populations! How the generalized environment and more localized ecosystems are being affected by the use of these chemicals, and what will happen over time is something only time will tell.

Questions to ask yourself before using any medicine -- pharmaceutical or otherwise, OTC or prescription -- are:

-- What is this medicine supposed to do?
-- Am I supposed to take/give this medication short term or long term?
-- How does it work? (What is it's mode of action?)
-- Is this medication indicated for my condition?
-- What are the reported side effects and/or secondary effects?
-- Will this medication contradict or be contradicted by other medications, foods, or activities?
-- Do I know how to use this medication properly?
-- Do the benefits of this medication outweigh the risks?

After you've been using preventative or long-term use medications for a while you should re-evaluate:

-- Is this treatment doing what it's supposed to do?
-- Am I still comfortable with what it is and how it works?
-- Am I experiencing side effects or negative secondary effects?
-- Has any new information come out about this medication that I should be aware of?
-- Is the original dosage still what I need to take?
-- Do the benefits still outweigh the risks?

I suppose it comes as no surprise that I'm not a huge fan of monthly topical use, and surely not the way they're being used now! I haven't used a monthly topical on my dogs in over 4 years, though I have used them in the past. (No fleas or other parasites to report in that time.) Overall I have found that they're not all they're cracked up to be, and they definitely aren't worth the toxic load they carry, now matter how minimal that supposedly is.
[notify]
Wittle Girl

I am the cutiest- girl

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 4:42pm PST 
I have never tryed frontline but I started Daphne on Advantage about two months ago and she has had no reactions to this medication. Although myself, I found out that to I am allergic to this medicine. I broke out in a horrible rash. So watch ur doggie closely but also watch yourself!big grin
[notify]
Spuds "The- Angel Potato- Head"

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 5:47pm PST 
Spuds is our second pup to use frontline plus. We never had a reaction with either pup. I think it depends on each dog, some will have reactions to things that do not bother other dogs.

We have been using frontline or frontline plus for the last 12 years.

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '08 5:48pm PST

[notify]
Rommel

RIP 1996 - 2008 We Miss You- Old Man

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 5:59pm PST 
I've used Frontline on both my gangsters and never had a problem ...
Rommel & Thor
[notify]
A.M.

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 6:17pm PST 
None of these flea treatments is totally safe - including Frontline,
Revolution and Advantage. If you read the instructions of any of these products, there is a warning.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 6:28pm PST 
What Meridan said!!applausebig grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3