GO!

Shih Tzu life span

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Snoopy (In- memory of- 5/29/10 -

Snoopy the- Gentle

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 10:25am PST 
My Mom has read so many books, etc. on my life span (Shih Tzu) but she would prefer to hear it from actually owners.

Would someone please share their years spent with my other friends and family members. I am 12 years old and will be 13 years this year and although I look good and don't have any health issues I just want my mommy to be prepared because I love her and she loves me more. She crys everytime I see the vet just for my check ups.. Geez~ frown
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 1:08pm PST 
Hi Snoopy, just recently there was a 19 year old Shih-Tzu that passed away on here. I think the life-span really depends on the type of dog. Shih-tzu's can live a long time with proper care(just like most dogs), you look like your in great shapeway to go I bet you will spend many more years with your mommysnoopy

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '08 1:09pm PST

[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 1:14pm PST 
Small breeds can live anywhere from 12-18+ years. But it also depends on the overall health of the animal, any dog can live a very long time with proper care smile
[notify]

Snoopy (In- memory of- 5/29/10 -

Snoopy the- Gentle

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 7:52am PST 
Woof you so much Murphy and Gunner. My mommy will feel so much better knowing this... hug
[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 5:58pm PST 
I really like this site because this wonderful person has gathered together all the breed longevity data, worldwide, on all the breeds she could. These studies include ones from insurance agencies that keep data on thousands and thousands of dogs, meaning the averages represent well what you are going to end out with in a breed for length of life.

Dr. Kelly M. Cassidy, 2007. Breed Longevity Data

On one of the pages of her site she makes mention of the fact that most breeders, of most breeds, exaggerate the life expectancy of their breed . . . just a little bit.

For Shih Tzus it is 13.2 years.
[notify]
Jesse

My brothers just- love me!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 3:29pm PST 
In the pet world I have worked for over 30 years and seen Shih Tzus live from 10-16 years. Some of it is the way they have been taken care of ,some of it is genetics,some of i is meds and such that they have been exposed to along with enviroment.Sorta like people.
Keep doing great work and you will enjoy life with your pal for a long time.
party
[notify]
belle

belley boop

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 4:13pm PST 
i had a shitzu before we got belle...we adopted her from the humans society she was the best dog i had ever owned...through the years she lost her eye site..but she still got around with no problem...then a year or so after that she lost her hearing and i had to put her down she couldnt walk or sit and she lost all interest in eating but when i put her down she was almost 14 years old...so your doing awsome with no health problems im sure you will be with mom for a long time yet
[notify]
belle

belley boop

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 4:14pm PST 
i had a shitzu before we got belle...we adopted her from the humans society she was the best dog i had ever owned...through the years she lost her eye site..but she still got around with no problem...then a year or so after that she lost her hearing and i had to put her down she couldnt walk or sit and she lost all interest in eating but when i put her down she was almost 14 years old...so your doing awsome with no health problems im sure you will be with mom for a long time yet
[notify]
Chompers, PhD

Where the- rabbits?!?

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 4:21pm PST 
My Mom had 2 Shih Tzu mixes when she was little (smaller than me!). The male lived to be 20, the female 22! And that was before she learned anything about animal science! dancing

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '08 4:23pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 12:26am PST 
We just lost our Shih-tzu at 20 years. i feel one of the reasons he lived as long as he did was that he only got the shots that were absolutely needed, some of the shots shorten their lives and some are not needed. our childrens doctors never asked us to inflect so msny shots on our children, do research, you will be surprised how harmful some of the shots are, and some of the meds. a very large part of income to the vets are from shots and meds, even my vet would not tell me that i was wrong.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2