GO!

do dogs get colds?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
branston

yeah ,in a- minute

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 12:07am PST 
branston has been sneezing quite alot and has a very runny nose ,do dogs get colds or is it something elseshrug
[notify]
Dickens

I may not be- smart, but darn- i'm cute!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 12:30am PST 
wave hi Branston. Yes, doggies do get colds. They are not like people colds, nor can they be caught from or given to humans. A doggie cold goes by many names, the most common being 'kennel cough' (bordatella) which they catch from other doggies. There is a bordatella vaccine that you can get every 6-12 months from your vet to help prevent catching it.

Sounds like you may have some allergies though sweetie. Most kennel cough is characterized by runny nose with discharge, coughing, 'backwards' sneezing (sorta sounds like your pup can't catch is breath), being a bit lethargic, etc.....
[notify]
branston

yeah ,in a- minute

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '07 1:08pm PST 
thanks for your post dickens, pickle my other lab has started to do this sharp in take of breath 2 or 3 times just recently do you think i should take her to the vet?
[notify]

Dickens

I may not be- smart, but darn- i'm cute!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '07 2:02pm PST 
that's called a 'backwards sneeze' sweetie ........ if it's accompanied by eye discharge, nose discharge, coughing, being lethargic or not eating or acting right, then yes, i think a trip to the vet is in order. If everything else seems fine otherwise, then it may just be an allergy thing as well.......... hug
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '07 2:51pm PST 
yup, dogs get colds... ive got one right now. i was on some antibiotics and some stuff to help stop the runny nose... I have something called Rhinitus (sooo off on spelling)... but it was an infection in my nose kinda like people get sinus infections... I had runny nose, and LOTS of sneezing... BLEH... but ive finished my antibiotics, and am also almost done witht the other stuff... id get to the vets... it can go to pnuemonia quickly according to my vet... way to go good luck
[notify]
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '07 9:02pm PST 
Peaches got a sinus infection a few months ago that made her sneeze and reverse sneeze as well as giving her runny eyes, a runny nose and major congestion. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics to get her over it.
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 1:47am PST 
Although kennel cough vaccines do exist, that's excessive. Kennel cough sounds bad to the human, but it is no big deal, just a cold.

I am opposed to the idea of injecting cold viruses directly into a dog's open blood stream in the name of avoiding an occasional sneeze. (That's what a vaccine is.) Especially more than one in their adult lifetime. Yeesh.
confused

Cases where a bordetella vaccine may be required include (on veterinarian recommendation) the elderly, high-risk dogs (doggy AIDS or something?), and some doggy day cares require bordetella vaccines.

Otherwise... don't fret it. It's just a cold.
way to go
[notify]
branston

yeah ,in a- minute

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 2:24am PST 
thanks everyone for your help, branstons runny nose and sneezing has stopped but pickle seems to be snorting (like theres something up her nose) quite alot. I ve looked to see if theres anything there but cant see anything.other than this they are both acting normal.How do you find out about allergies? we have moved home about 3 months ago could this be a reasonthinking
[notify]
Rosie

Look at me! Look- at me! Look at- me!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '08 8:36pm PST 
I have a problem with allergies. In october I had a sinus infection and bad post nasal drip. I snorted, backwards sneezed and sneezed normally. I was a mess. hahahahalaugh out loud
[notify]
branston

yeah ,in a- minute

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '08 10:15am PST 
hi rosie ,how did you solve the problem?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2