GO!

Infection after neutering! PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topher

Save lives;- Rescue &- Spay/Neuter!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 1:52pm PST 
Please help us! My dog was neutered on Monday, December 17, 2007. He is a rescue pet from the pound. He's about 6-8 months old, not quite sure. Starting last night, I noticed he was acting like he wasn't feeling too well. Everytime I took him for a walk, he would walk a few steps then sit down. I've been keeping a close eye on his incision site, and it's looked good. He has tried licking, but I have stopped him from doing it so much that I think he's scared to now. My parents told me that if they lick, it can cause infection, so I've been very careful with that. He is an indoor dog, so his incision hasn't been dirty or anything. This afternoon, (Sunday, Dec 23), I noticed his scrotum is VERY swollen. I made him lay down and I lightly touched the area to see how it felt. It was very firm and soon as I touched it, he cried. It's about 3x bigger than it was yesterday and seems to have a little puss coming from the incision now. I called the vet, but with it being the Sunday before Christmas, I know I won't hear back today. I plan on calling first thing in the morning but was curious to see if anyone had any help to offer. Has this ever happened to anyone else? What should I do in the meantime while I wait to hear from the vet? I'm very worried about him...and I know he won't let me touch it too much. Should I be held responsible for any vet fees? I'm new to this, and it's kind of scary! Please help us!

Merry Christmas smile

xoxo,
Cortni, human to Topher
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 2:44pm PST 
Gunner's neuter incision was infected shortly after he was neutered. I noticed the same symptoms... He didn't want it to be touched and it oozed a yellow puss and was very red.

Our vet gave us chlorhexiderm. Idk what that is BOL but I have it left over.. it was a liquid that we gently scrubbed once a day and gave us amoxicillin to give once a day.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
Snoopy

Self-appointed- Cookie Inspector

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 3:39pm PST 
When we had our Great Pyrenees neutered, we also had a problem. within 24 hours after surgery, his balls (What was left of them) swelled to the size of small grapefruits. We called the vet lat at night, and he asked us to bring him in immediately. (Note....the vet was a personal friend, even though it was his personal assistant who did the surgery.) He opened up the clinic for us and had to re-sedate the dog and go back in. Apparently the other vet, left some material in there which got infected. He had to re-do it, and place him on antibiotics. Not a pretty sight.

The dog was in so much pain.

Greatful the vet was so good about it. Not many would do what he did for us, (and at no charge!)

Anyway, yah, it was not pretty.

Good luck with your dog, hope the vet can see him tomorrow!

PS......Merry Christmas!
[notify]

Koda

Please- no more- photos

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 3:47pm PST 
I would keep call again. The vet should at least have an answering service that can better direct you. If your dog is in a lot of pain maybe they can direct you to an emergency vet so he can looked at.
[notify]
Topher

Save lives;- Rescue &- Spay/Neuter!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 7:07pm PST 
Thanks so much everyone! The vet actually called me back shortly after I posted this. We took him in right away, and he gave him 2 shots and some prescription that he'll be on for 10 days. It's not infected, yet...but it would have been really soon. What happened was Topher had licked it enough to where he pushed a stitch inwards, so it caused it to swell really bad. It does have drainage though, which is weird to me for not being an infection, but all is well!!! I'm so happy! The vet said the swelling will go down over the next few days, which is good because it looks really awkward, about to size of a baseball.

Well thanks so much everyone! This is a great board!
[notify]
Snoopy

Self-appointed- Cookie Inspector

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 7:27pm PST 
So glad all is well Topher! Great news.applause
[notify]
Dakota

Licking faces- since 2007!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 7:44pm PST 
I'm glad to hear Topher's doing well. smile
[notify]
Koda