GO!

wetting the bed?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 8:49am PST 
Can dogs wet the bed (involuntarily)? And if so, does it mean they've got some kind of medical problem?

You see last night I came home from a party, and Kelpie was sleeping in her favorite spot in my bed. When I went to turn the covers down, I realized there was a big pee spot right where she'd been lying. Now, considering she spent a good part of the day yesterday in her crate and then I went out it could just have been that she was ... well ... pissed at me (literally!). But if she peed on the bed because she was mad at me, would she then have snuggled down and gone to sleep on that spot?

Kelpie has always been super fastidious about her toilet habits -- when I brought her home at six months she only had one accident in the house, the second day before I taught her to use the dog door, so I was wondering if something could have caused her to wet the bed unintentionally.
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 9:16am PST 
A UTI can cause it. You could have a urine test done to see if an infection is starting.

Try to see if the area is swollen, or getting extra attention, or if she seems to be straining to pee or needs to go more often. These are other signs for a medical issue.
[notify]
A.M.

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 9:59am PST 
It can also be a symptom of various diseases so it might be a good idea to make a trip to the vet just in case. Otherwise it might cost more $$$ down the line if ignored.
[notify]

charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 10:07am PST 
I'm dealing with the same thing with Char right now. I took a urine sample to the vet, who said there was no sign of a UTI. He put her on antibiotics just to rule out an infection. He did say that her urine was abnormally dilute. Have you noticed that in your dog's case? Smell it- there's hardley any pee smell at all if its really diluted.
Char's started after a huge hike and she had 7-8 puddles within 2 days. But now its stopped, except for one huge puddle three days ago.
Is your dog's attitude normal? Char's is. I'd be interested in keeping in touch with you about this- we can compare notes and see what's going on. After Christmas, I'm going to take her in for a blood panel just to see if the rest of her system is normal.
Good luck- I hope you get this figured out!!! Please keep me posted!
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 12:57pm PST 
Sounds most likely to be a UTI. Like others have, definitely take her in to get a urnialysis (or culture) done. Good luck, UTIs are a pain to get rid of. Gunner has been in treatment for six months now, and I think we've finally cured.

Just out of curiosity, if Kelpie on a high protein food? I've heard of a correlation between high protein and UTIs, due to the fact that the dogs don't get enough moisture.

Also, Kelpie may be becoming spay incontinent, though she is a bit young for that. Just another thing to keep in mind. Good luck at the vet's office!
[notify]
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 3:21pm PST 
Thanks, pups! I'm sorry some of you are going through something similar. I haven't noticed she has any problems urinating, but then, she takes herself out through the dog door so I rarely see her go. She did get me out of bed to let her out this morning, which she rarely does. I haven't noticed any significant changes in her behavior, but my handyman/dogwalker has been commenting that she's been acting "off" on and off for a little over a week now. I don't see any irritation or swelling, and she isn't chewing or licking (which she doesn't do much anyway), but she does feel maybe a little warmer than usual. I guess I should check to see if her vet is open tomorrow. I guess I'm also going to lay down the law to my housemates about not giving her "people food" -- at least for a while!
[notify]
Sassy

Wag- more, bark- less

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 3:45pm PST 
Sassy started to have the same thing happen about a year ago. I took her in to the vet and we got a sterile urine sample and sent that out, we also did a quick look by ultrasound of her bladder and we did a complete blood panel. All of it came back as normal so we chalked it up to urinary spay incontinence. ( google it and check out info on it)
I tried her on the typical meds that are prescribed for this and she would vomit every time she took them so, by chance I came across a holistic product and figured, what the heck, tried it and it works like a charm.
I would take a trip to the vet to make sure it is not a UTI or something else. To truly check for a UTI, the vet needs to obtain a sterile sample of urine. A sample that is caught by the owner ( called a free catch) will always contain a large amount of bacteria b/c as the urine travels through the urethra, it picks up all sorts of bacteria that is always present in there, therefore, your sample will reveal bacteria, no matter what. A non sterile sample is good though for detecting blood, pH, crystals ( sometimes this can be falsified though too), ketones, and other levels.
[notify]
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 6:39pm PST 
I checked and the vet will be open in the morning, so I'm going to take her in -- she seems a little listless this evening (she's usually bouncing off the walls this time of night).
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 8:30pm PST 
If she's spayed it can be also what is called "the spayed female incontinence". Most females who are spayed have accidents like this in their sleep. I would have one about every other month, but Mommy learned to take me out right before we go to bed, so if I have one it won't be THAT big of a puddle. There are hormonal treatments for it but considering the possible side effects Mom prefers to wash bedsheets.
[notify]
Shorty the- Magnificent!

I'm in Heaven w/- all the good- dogs.

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 9:15pm PST 
I don't want to alarm anyone, but, it would be unfair of me not to mention this. About a year before Shorty went to heaven he would periodically wet the bed. His last moments at home before we went to the emergency clinic he wet the bed. He also was shorter of breath than normal and tired easily. Turned out to be congestive heart failure. His blood work was normal until a couple of months before he died.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3