GO!

Odd rib sticking out funny

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 7:22am PST 
I'm not sure exactly even how to name this BOL.

But Coby has this odd rib I guess it is that sticks out funny. Only on the one side. It almost feels like he only has part of the rib or an extra rib maybe. He is fairly thin being a Border Collie so it is quite noticable.

I doubt this is a new thing with him. I'm sure I've felt it before.
The thing that concerns me is that Coby pretty well refuses to show when he is in pain. I have seen him jump stright in the air only to land flat on his back without even a slight whimper. And sometimes this was even on the paved driveway!

The only time I've ever heard him express his pain is when he almost broke his paw loging it into the truck's trailer hitch.

Should this be something to worry about at this point? (In regards to the ribs) He shows no discomfort when I touch them.
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 7:29am PST 
If you haven't any pain and haven't been injured (to break a rib), I think that's called a floating rib. I would have to look it up on the Internet bee-cause I don't have any experience with that. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's not life threatening or harmful.

Smoke, *hoping a rib expert comes along*
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 7:41am PST 
Thanks Smoke!
I'm hoping the flaoting rib thingy is all it is!

But the pain thing is what I was concerned about, there are things that would cause probably any other pup in the world a great amount of pain and it doesn't even phase Coby!
He can be picked right up off the ground by the skin on his back! (I'm not sure how that was discovered, but it doesn't bother him!)
And him jumping straight up in the air is pretty high, plus then landing flat on his back! shock

Oh rib expert where are you pups?? laugh out loud
[notify]

Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 7:54am PST 
Oh thank Dog!!! Mommy noticed that last night with me too (she never felt that part of me before I guess) and she was almost in tears thinking that something was wrong with me.
[notify]
Bigg

Bubba Bigg- Sooner

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 8:12am PST 
Bigg has an odd rib on one side too. Bigg is thin so you can definitely see it. And believe me, he expresses pain whenever possible. He's my little weenie boy. bol. Our vet has never said there was a problem with it.
[notify]
Beau

The sweet Lord- Jesus guides my- posts

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 8:23am PST 
The rib expert has arrived....

The last (13th) rib on a dog is a "floating rib" this means that it does not go all the way down and attach to the sternum underneath. Sometimes it is not noticeable that that rib is any different than the others and sometimes it does stick out kinda funny and can be somewhat moveable if you try to play with it.

So, it is almost certainly normal in your pup and nothing to worry about. And it doesn't hurt either.

Rib expert... over and out!
[notify]
Tiggles- (CGC, SILIF)- IN LOVING

Give LOVE to get- LOVE-Adopt a- Dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 9:06am PST 
applauseapplauseapplause
Thank you, Beau!

I have the same thing, it scared mom at first too!
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 9:31am PST 
This might sounds weird, but "odd ribs" were one of the things my mom always liked to point out to the vet when patients would come in. wink She was always palpating them and would get all excited when she felt something that was out of place. For the most part, there was never anything wrong with the pet, their rib just wasn't exactly in the right spot. The vet would always palpate it, or look at the xrays and tell her that she was weird for being all neurotic about rib abnormalities laugh out loud.

Mom's sister's cat had a weird rib. They think he might have broken it as a kitten and it healed funny. He never seemed bothered by it. I think in your case though, it's probably just a normal part of the anatomy, as Beau said.

Hugs to all the abnormally ribbed kids out there! My mom wants to know if she can come pet you big laugh
[notify]
Shiva

Momma where are- you?

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 2:27pm PST 
Gotta agree with Beau on this. SOunds just like the floating rib. It tends to worry people since sometimes its very prominent.
[notify]
Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 4:23pm PST 
I got a weir drib to mum noticed it when I was laying on my side asleep cause it sticks out funny scared her at first then it dawned on her floating rib hehe
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2